USB 2.0 with XP

foxxxy 05:40 26 Mar 2006

I have just bought a printer (Canon MP 800) and a pop-up keeps telling me that I need a HI speed connection. My M/B says supports USB 2.0 and Windows (XP Pro. S/P 2) says I have best drivers but none of the ID nos I found in the blurb from M/Soft matches my set under device manager.

MY M/B supplier says dont worry - it's a glitch with windows. My local shop says re-instal windows.

Any clues out there?

Thanks, FOXXXY

AndySD 07:17 26 Mar 2006

Muy initial thought was to reinstal the printer Drivers/Software.

But is this pop up only when printing from certain sections of the cannon software or all the time?

terryf 09:09 26 Mar 2006

My thoughts as AndySD but after un-instal go through the instal exactly as shown in the documentation or wizard. Probably do not plug printer in to usb until asked to. Also uninstal any Canon software

€dstowe 09:46 26 Mar 2006

The inherent mechanical slowness of a printer makes it irrelevant whether you have USB 1.1 or USB2.0.

If it works OK, leave alone - you are likely to cause much more difficulty with unnecessary tweaking.

spikeydog 17:36 26 Mar 2006

This is caused by a Windows glich. I think that you will find if you switch your printer on BEFORE switching on your computer then you won't get the message.

Stuartli 18:39 26 Mar 2006

As €dstowe points out, it's of no consequence with a printer.

When I first acquired an Epson R300, it was used on a USB1.1 port.

A few weeks later I upgraded the motherboard which included USB2 ports.

The time from hitting the Print button to starting to print is exactly the same as with USB1.1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone