usb 2.0 problem

woodturner 15:56 21 Jan 2006

I have an HP Pavilion 790 running XP pro SP2. The bios is an Award Medallion Version 6.0pg

The PC is fitted with HP 5185-6448 PCI card which gives 2 x IEEE1394 external firewire ports and (via a cable connected to the internal firewire port) a front panel firewire port and 2 x USB1.1 ports

I have attempted to add an additional VIA USB2.0 card to a spare PCI slot to give me a higher speed interface for an external USB hard drive.
The card is a certified USB2 card and supported by XP.

Alter installing the card I checked device manager to find the new ports with a yellow warning flags. USB 2.0 drivers were installed from the supplied CD and system rebooted. Still same problem with USB2 ports and in addition the IEEE1394 was now flagged with a red cross - and no firewire connections!

Removing the USB2.0 card still left the IEEE1394 card disabled. System restore was unable to back out the change. Eventually discovered an uninstall option of the USB2.0 driver CD.

This worked and I now have Firewire back but no USB2.0 - any suggestions on how I can get these two PCI cards to co-exist would be welcomed !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 21 Jan 2006

Have a look here click here for Via filter patch and hyperion 4 in 1 drivers

howard63 17:45 21 Jan 2006

you could try swapping your pci cards to put the usb 2.0 in a different slot.

woodturner 22:31 21 Jan 2006

HI

Well some progress. Howard63 suggested moving the USB2 card to another position - I swapped it with the modem and the system installed it automatically finding all the correct drivers from those already on the HD - no CD required.

I checked device manager and found the following :

USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
VIA Rev 5 or later USB uni host controller
VIA USB enhanced Host controller

I have checked all the ports and all seem to transfer data but all at the same usb1.1 rate! Note I am only checking with my digital camera as my USB external drive has not yet arrived.

Questions :

1) Is the port array in device manager shown above what I would expect to see given that I have installed a 5 port USB2 card?

2) Is the transfer speed dependant on both the port AND the device being USB2.0 Not sure if my camera is 2.0 suspect 1.1 as its 5 years old !

Thanks for help so far

Totally-braindead 01:02 22 Jan 2006

I think you hit the nail on the head with the last bit, in order for USB 2.0 to work properly your computer must have USB 2.0 and the device you plug in must be USB 2.0 otherwise it defaults to USB 1.1. If there are no exclamation marks in device manager and it uses the word enhanced that is USB 2.0. Remember though only the ports on the card are USB 2.0 the rest are USB 1.1. Sorry if thats stating the obvious.

De Marcus™ 01:14 22 Jan 2006

Agree with Totally-braindead, if your camera is 5 years old (bearing in mind some cameras sold today are still usb 1.1) it's unlikely it's usb 2.0, despite the fact the USB 2.0 specification was released in April 2000 and was standardised by the USB-IF at the end of 2001, cameras or any other peripherals sold with this specification were very few and far between at this time.

Totally-braindead 01:20 22 Jan 2006

I bought mine in 2002/2003 and its USB 1.1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 22 Jan 2006

VIA USB enhanced Host controller

The fact you can see "Enhanced controller" means the card is USB2

Its probably the camera causing the lowr transfer rate.

If you plug a USB2 device into as USB1.1 port then windows throws up an eroor message "This device could work faster...."

woodturner 15:21 22 Jan 2006

Hi again - thanks to all how had added their words of wisdom.

As the only issue outstanding is whether the USB2 card ports are running at the correct speed I will close this subject down - at least until I have tried it out on the external drive which should be arriving this coming week.

best regards to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?