USB 2.0 PCI Cards - Need Advice

Muckleface 21:27 30 Nov 2003

Hi,

I want to get a USB 2.0 PCI card for my PC.

The thing is they seem to vary in price so much!

Theres one here on dabs for £9.00 click here

Theres one here on dabs for £50! click here

And then theres one her on EBUYER for £26 click here

Why does the price vary so much? Also, what would an "internal usb port" be used for?

Any help much appreciated,

Jordan

Giggle n' Bits 22:04 30 Nov 2003

of your PC. where as External Hub is outside and converts USB 1 TO USB 2.00

If you are confident to fit an PCI card inside your computer then the £10 card would be ok.

Higher prices is based on the Manufacturer and desing type. Stick with the lower price one as it will do the job.

A_World_Maker 22:07 30 Nov 2003

this one F5U220 offers 5 Ports (4 external, 1 internal)

this one EIO-U2P offers 4 ports (3 external, 1 internal)

this one D-link 5-port USB Pci Controller Card offers 5 ports (4 external, 1 internal)

From reading all the specifications, the F5U220 offers excellent value for money, followed by the D-link, lastly the EIO-U2P. They all appear to offer very similar specs. So its just a choice of how many ports you need.

DieSse 22:12 30 Nov 2003

An internal port on the card could be used, for instance, for connecting a camera card reader that fits in a drive bay. Of a dive bay panel that has a USB port on it, for cases that don't have front USB connections,

A 6-port card with two internal connections is an ideal upgrade unit.

keverne 23:11 30 Nov 2003

Flite,
...erm, hang on a minute. You said:-
>>where as External Hub is outside and converts USB 1 TO USB 2.00<<

No, it doesn't!

A_World_Maker 23:20 30 Nov 2003

You can only get usb2 on a usb1 computer, if the usb2 is provided by a Hardware card (one with its own firmware and or Bios)

Muckleface 23:23 30 Nov 2003

A_World_Maker, how can the F5U220 be the "best value for money" - its the most expensive at £50!!!?

And DieSse, where abouts can I get the 8-port one from? The most Ive ever seen on a PCI card is 4 external, 1 internal?

Thanks,

Jordan

Giggle n' Bits 23:45 30 Nov 2003

It typed it wrong and so it sounded wrong, I meant a External Hub has 1 usb plug to plug into pc this giving expansion and access for the others. Still sounds wrong ?

other works you have a hub with say 4 USB Ports which the hub connects to pc via 1 wire with USB plug. I didn't mean it to sound convert usb1 to 2 vice versa.

DieSse 00:05 01 Dec 2003

They're not 8 port - they're 6 port - 4 outside, 2 internal - or 5 outside 1 internal - I've seen both.

You can get them almost everywhere. Do a Google search using .... 6 port usb2 card uk ....

bvw in bristol 00:13 01 Dec 2003

N4CE USB 2.0 PCI CARD 4 PORT
This card is ideal for adding the USB feature of connectivity to your system or increasing the amount of USB inputs that you have.

Price: £9.99 Including VAT at 17.5%

click here

Under Accessory Section.

Ordered two of these recently. Excellent service.

Nosmas 00:55 01 Dec 2003

Have a look on click here at £10.20 (plus carriage and VAT) you can't go wrong. It's now even cheaper chan when I bought mine 5 months ago - total cost the £16.20.

Also have a look at the reviews on click here Although advertised as 3 ports in the front bay, like many others mine had 4 ports. simple to install and no problems during five months use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie