USB 2.0 Not working - Again!

Graphicool1 16:24 03 Oct 2008

WINXP HOME, ASUS A7A266 MOBO, 8 (external)USB SLOTS - 4 USB 2.0. (plus an extra internal one) I have SP2 & SP3 installed, but 'NOT' SP1 is it only SP1 that has USB 2.0 Drivers? I bought the USB Card some time ago. Just so I would have them when I felt the need for speed. That time has now come, but everytime I insert a USB 2.0 item into 'ANY' of the USB slots, the message is always the same - 'This *** could perform faster if you put it in a USB 2.0 slot' It then maintains that I have 6? I'm at a total loss. The device manager says everything is fine. I've tried driver update, but it says it can't find a better match. The Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller is Dated:-01/06/2002 & Version:-5.1.2600.0.
I posted this problem a few days ago and was told to uninstall all the USB file in 'Device Manager'. I did this and when I switched the PC on again and reinserted all my USB 1/1.1 and 2.0 devices. There were no messages of this device could perform better if it was in a USB 2.0 Slot! So, hastily I assumed everything was ok. Hoewever when I put the PC on again the next day, everything went pear shaped. I was getting all the USB messages I didn't get the day before! My Wireless Internet connection packed up and had to be reconfigured. If this wasn't enough my PC hung, all I could do was to reboot, then do a System Retore. I am now, sort of back to square one. I say sort of because my PC isn't running as well as it was before all this happened.
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. The reason I'm telling you this is because although I was able to reformat my HDD and reinstall Windows, a couple of months ago. I wasn't aware until a few days ago you have to install the chipset afterwards, I didn't and still haven't.

iscanut 16:47 03 Oct 2008

Not really an answer to your problem, but you can only have sp3 installed as this supercedes sp1 and sp2. May be s daft question, but are you sure the card is USB 2 ?

Shuffty 20:58 03 Oct 2008

First thing to do is install the chipset drivers
then check in the bios and ensure legacy usb is enabled or set to auto.
This board does not have usb2 onboard,the usb2 card you have should have a driver disc with it install the drivers before you plug anything in

Graphicool1 18:16 04 Oct 2008

Thanx for your input guys.
Nuts: When I reinstalled Windows, I didn't put SP1 in, I went to SP2 & later moved on to SP3. It's just that everytime I've been on the net looking for USB 2.0 drivers, I'm being told that they come with SP1. I thought that perhaps I'd missed them, by going straight to SP2. As for your question, regarding the USB Card, yes it is 2.0 I took it out and checked.
Shuffty: I've just installed the Chipset Drivers and I'm now checking to see if the USB 2.0 works. I just plugged in my external HDD and no-'It can work faster on USB 2.0'-message. So it looks like we're home free. However, I think I'll wait until I boot up my PC again tomorrow before I check the 'RESOLVED' box this time. Toes crossed guys. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow Cheers G1

bremner 18:33 04 Oct 2008

There is no need to install SP1 if you have installed SP2.

SP2 has all the SP1 updates including USB2.

Graphicool1 15:52 05 Oct 2008

Sad to say...Once again I was too quick with my assurancies. I'm glad I held off clicking resolved. I put my PC on today, to once again find all the same messages regarding...'This device could perform faster if you put it in a USB 2.0 slot, click here and see where they are'? The thing is it always says the same nomatter which slot I connect to. When I click for it to show me it says there are 6 free USB 2.0 slots. However, the USB 2.0 card only has 4 external and 1 internal, making 5? Where is the 6th? Not that it matters, because at the end of the day although I have 9 slots altogether, 5 of which are supposed to be USB 2.0. The above message appears, nomatter which one I plug into!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?