USB 2.0 and Memory Sticks

robinhookham 13:05 31 Jul 2006

I am getting problems with a couple of memory stick that refurse to be reconized on my sons PC.
They work OK and other PC's.

I think it is an issue with USB 2.0 support as USB 1.1 devices seem to work.

I have reloaded Windows XP Service Pack two.

What am I doing wrong?

Terry Brown 15:01 31 Jul 2006

It sounds as if you have the original XP CD, which has been updated with XP2 & other updates.

I would suggest you use the repair option on XP , however this is not straightforward using an old (original) CD.

Go to the microsoft site and download the XP boot file for your version of XP.You will need 6 floppy disks.Follow instructions to create floppy boot disks.
Set your machine to boot from floppy, insert floppy 1 into the drive and your XP CD in the CD drive. Re-start machine and follow instructions.
Ignore the first repair option.All going well you will come to a blue 'Terms and Conditions' screen -Press F8 to continue, the press ESC for advanced options. Select the R for repair, and allow XP to check your system-remove and re-install files as required (Automatic). You will need the XP Code, and you will have to re-load your XP SP2 and all updates, however all other programs on your system should (no guarantee) be ok, with the exception of any EMails, addresses etc which will be lost. This will repair your system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 31 Jul 2006

Refresh USB ports

Go to device manager and uninstall everything under the heading USB, roots and all.

Either reboot the machine or click on the Action menu and scan for new hardware.
Let XP find and install the ports your memory sticks should now be recognised and drivers asked for.

robinhookham 21:26 01 Aug 2006

I will give it a go at the weekend. I work away from home all week. Will let you know.
Tks

robinhookham 22:04 07 Aug 2006

The unistall on the device manager worked a great. Now can use Memory stick no problem,

Tks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?