USB 2.0 card problem with front and rear sockets

Pamy 11:22 02 Sep 2006

hello everyone,

My friend has recently bought a USB 2.0 card with front sockets that fit in 3.5" floppy space as well as rear ones on the card itself.

The card is working OK as far as using "flash" memory, but will not work her external HDD although it has its own power supply.

Anybody got any ideas why this is?

Pamy

terryf 11:50 02 Sep 2006

?? are the usb front sockets 'unpowered' click here

Pamy 12:11 02 Sep 2006

Thanks for reply. All sockets, 2rear and 4front, are not powered by a separate supply only from the PCI slot. The HDD is powered.

terryf 12:15 02 Sep 2006

OK but from a brief look at the link it may be that the usb sockets are electrically different, you would need to google 'usb 2 specifications' to research further, sorry I haven't time to do this for you now, going to slave over a hot stove :-)

Pamy 12:16 02 Sep 2006

thanks for info.

Pamy

Pamy 13:09 02 Sep 2006

Found this on Ebuyer site about this unit, so my friend is not alone with this problem.

"However, the most recent 2+4 version seems to have the max voltage set lower than the 2+3 version nearer to the USB specification of 5-volts. All the flash memory works well but the external hard disk won't run as it requires a little more ummmphh, so it's back to fishing around the back of the PC for the m/b USBs. In conclusion if you plan to you these with digital cameras, flash memory, no problem but external 2.5" drives may not work."

Pamy 16:21 02 Sep 2006

Well, conclude that this product is a not up to it(think they should have told consumer the drawbacks)or, friends motherboard PCI slots not got enough umph.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?