USB 2.0

TonyV 21:19 24 Apr 2010

I was looking on here today because I too have a problem where I am always being asked to use USB 2.0 because it is quicker. click here

I therefore did the same as mgmcc did in that link and ended up in a real bitches breakfast.

Everything seemed to go OK, but now I am constantly being told that New Hardware has been found but it is unknown and cannot therefore apply the drivers to it. It is looking for HIDSERV.DLL, which is already on my machine. I have downloaded a copy of XP SP3 because that was another request it asked and I have that available as a file. But I cannot get into it to salvage that .dll file.

How can I a) find out what unknown device it is, so that I can get the manufacture disk and install drivers, or b) how can I get it to pick out the file from the SP3 package?

Can I for instance, open up the file without actually installing, since SP3 is already installed?

It looks like the only other answer is to do a restore and forget the fact that despite USB2.0 being available, Windows doesn't want to recognise it.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV 21:21 24 Apr 2010

I should have said, I haven't contemplated messing with the BIOS settings for fear of even greater problems arising!!

TonyV

User-312386 22:24 24 Apr 2010

Device manager>Universal serial bus, click the plus sign and right click each one and click update driver and this time only - that should install the enhanced controllers!

User-312386 22:25 24 Apr 2010

sorry wrong thread

Ashrich 23:36 24 Apr 2010

As you may have found , HIDSERV.dll is an HID Audio service built in to Windows , a copy of which can be downloaded from click here.

Ashley

TonyV 00:33 25 Apr 2010

I have tried your link Ashrich and the version of hidserv.dll on my machine is a much later one than the one downloaded from your link, so I left it as is.
I still have no idea what the "Unknown Device" is though. I even tried the madboy33©® suggestion, even though it was the wrong thread, but every thing was as up-to-date as it should be and no updated driver could be found.

Thanks

TonyV

TonyV 16:39 25 Apr 2010

Every time I switch on it says it has found new hardware and then goes through the route of installing drivers for it. I assume that it accepts that but on re-switching on, it still says it has found new hardware. I have no idea what it is, there is no new hardware, yet it seems incapable of accepting the "up to date" Drivers.

Have no idea where to go now. One thing that turned up was the Microsoft XPS Document writer. This seemed to be some form of printer makeup. I downloaded a removal tool to get rid of it because it had made it the default printer. I then changed to my normal printer. But still it thinks there is new hardware being added.

I think the next thing is, if there are no answers to the problem, is to do a restore before I fiddled with the USB problem and put up with the constant messaging that the machine would work faster with USB2.0 being used!!

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 25 Apr 2010

Show/Conceal Hidden Devices in Device Manager
When accessing Device Manager there may be hidden devices that are not displayed. This tweak forces all devices to be displayed.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Modify/Create the Value Name [DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES] according to the Value Data listed below.
Value Data: [1 = Show Devices / 0 = Hide Devices]

Exit Registry and Reboot

Then in device manager unistall all the devices shown as hidden (not connected).

reboot and see if it has solved the problem.

TonyV 17:33 25 Apr 2010

I did as you suggested and looked at the hidden elements. There were an awful lot of them and I deleted/uninstalled two items that I new were not being used. I dare not remove any of the others because I'm not sure what they are!

In the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is still the one which is listed as Unknown Device. It keeps telling me there are no drivers installed for this device. The problem is I have no idea what the device is, so that I could get the correct driver rather than the generic Microsoft driver. If I tell it to install the driver automatically, it goes through the process, but fails to retain it. If I delete the Unknown Device, the next time I switch on, it tell me it has found new hardware and we repeat the process again of trying to get the correct drivers for something we not what it is!! (The joys of computing!)

Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers I have the following listings:-
1 x Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
1 x Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
1 x Unknown Device
2 x USB Composite Device
2 x USB Mass Storage Device
1 x USB Printing Support
2 x USB Root Hub

As you can see, it is that rogue Unknown Device that is causing concern.

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 25 Apr 2010

Remove all the rest

Any thing yo plug into a USB port will then restore the driver as its needed.

you have something "stuck" that needs removing.

woodchip 18:00 25 Apr 2010

Any unknown Devices should always be uninstalled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache