USB 2 PCI card on K7T Turbo 2 Motherboard

jkr 10:52 26 Oct 2005

I am wanting to buy a photo printer but it uses a USB 2 port. I only have USB 1 ports. Looking at other postings it says that USB 2 PCI cards can be plugged in to the motherboard.
I have a K7T Turbo 2 motherboard with an AMD 133 Athlon CPU.
Would a USB 2 PCI card work with these?
I do not want to buy the printer then find that I cannot use it.
Thanks.

MAJ 12:09 26 Oct 2005

The printer will work fine on a USB1 port, jkr. If you have a spare PCI slot then you can fit a PCI-USB2 card into it.

jack 12:09 26 Oct 2005

You did not mention the Operating system I assume therefore it is XP or 2000
1. USB is back compatable, that is, as in this case a printer - will run in a USB 1 slot - the Experts will say aha! it will run slower - but only a bencharker program will tell you that - it'll print, and your coffee will get a smidgin cooler -so what!

USB2 PCI card will slot in to an unpopulated PCI slot on the MoBo. and give 4/5 extra USB slots each one a dedicated channel - this is much more preferable to a 'HUB' whuch gives the extra slots but channels all data streams down the same path - and can cause power drop issues as well.

jkr 12:37 26 Oct 2005

Thanks Maj and Jack - particularly the second part of Jack's - I had not realised that - very useful. I can now go out and buy my PCI card and printer and feel safe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?