Usb 2 high speed ?

ian-206235 23:29 05 Apr 2005

Can someone please tell me how to differenciate between a high speed usb port and a non sb2 port please. I have purchased an external HD case for my spare hard drive and when i plug it in ,i get this message : "This device can run faster if connected to a usb 2 high speed port , the usb mass storage device is high speed and will function at reduced speed when plugged in to a non high speed port. The hubs in bold have free ports that are high speed : Intel (r) 82801 FB/ FBM Usb 2 Enhanced host controller 265c" The hard drive does work by the way , xp home sp2

Totally-braindead 23:34 05 Apr 2005

If it shows under control panel/device manager as enhanced this means USB 2.0 however I have seen computers which has this but the front ports, on the case, as USB 1.1. The ones which should be USB 2.0 are the ones which connect to the motherboard at the back of the case.

Giggle n' Bits 23:37 05 Apr 2005

will show you in a Port Layout Diagram if you have one or you would need the Manual for the Motherboard of your PC/Laptop.

Usual if a PC it will have 4 or More USB Ports and usally NOT the top 2 ports but the USB 2.0 will be the lower 2 ports at rear of TOWER CASE.

If a Laptop then there will be 4 ports usuall 2 on rear and 2 on side, the side ones will be USB 2. I would try plugging in the device to a different set of the USB Ports. The one which doesn't give you the pop up as its sounds like XP will take the HDD no problem.

If you could give more detail as to Laptop or PC Model or Mother board we could help more.

ian-206235 23:45 05 Apr 2005

Its a packard bell imedia 1801 b desktop ,

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:53 05 Apr 2005

To be truthful unless you are transferring 400+Gbs of data you will notice no difference.

G

Totally-braindead 23:55 05 Apr 2005

Found it on their website click here the 4 at the rear according to the advertising are USB 2.0 the 2 at the front may be just USB 1.1 its not too clear to me if they mean all the ports are USB 2.0 or not.

ian-206235 00:00 06 Apr 2005

thanks very much , its plugged in the back too , oh well works fine was just curious . thanks again

Totally-braindead 00:03 06 Apr 2005

Just reread your original posting, you say you bought an external hard drive case for an existing hard drive. Is this an internal IDE hard drive that you're using? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if this is the case and if it needs some sort of driver. Appols if I'm wrong but I've never had an external drive and therefore don't know about them. Someone else will though.

ian-206235 00:05 06 Apr 2005

Yes it did need a driver but its installed . It was a hard drive from my previous pc , that i didnt want to waste ,when i broke the pentium 4 processor , so i just bought the packard bell pc , it was easier

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?