USB 2 flash drive doesn't show in My Computer

Bazhudds 14:41 06 Jan 2006

When inserted into a USB 2 connector the USB 2 drive is recognised. E.G. it shows in 'save as' window or 'open' window in applications. Also shows in Computer Management:Disk management window in XP. and a sound is made when connected.

Can't open the drive in My Computer to explore it. Can open it in Computer Management:Disk management but that is a long way round.

The drive was formatted on another computer and showed up in that.

recap 15:40 06 Jan 2006

If the drive doesn't show up in My Computer press F5, this will refresh the screen.

If that doesn't work, go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View and make sure the Radio button is active for Show hidden files and folders.

freaky 16:01 06 Jan 2006

Once you have connected the Flash Drive, then it should appear in My Computer as USB Drive and have a drive letter in brackets.

Have you tried Right Clicking on it, and then selecting Properties.

If the drive was formatted on another computer, then it might be formatted as NTFS whereas your PC may be using FAT 32 - or vice versa - this would cause the problem you mention.

Bazhudds 16:51 06 Jan 2006

Thanks recap. Had tried refresh - no success, have now set hidden files and folders to show but still no success.

Freaky, thanks. When I connect the drive it doesn't appear in My Computer at all. I will check the formatting.

I tried to change the drive letter. This shows up in My C. if set to B as a floopy drive and can be accessed. Other letters I tried didn't show up in My C.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?