USB 2 drive on go slow!

fudge 20:55 03 Nov 2006

I've been using a USB2 drive on machines with Win ME installed and it transfers data at high rates. On one PC I have now upgraded to Win XP and this drive is now only operating at, what I guess to be USB1 speeds i.e. very slow. If I use it on the machine that has still got ME installed it works at full speed so it can't be the drive.

If I use a different USB2 drive in the XP machine that also works at full speed so it can't be the USB slot.

I've checked for errors, defrag'd it and the disc is only about a quarter full.

Any ideas why this drive won't work at fast rates on the XP machine?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:52 03 Nov 2006

Has the XP machine got USB2 drivers installed (SP2)

look for the "enhanced" driver in USB in device manager.

phil46 22:02 03 Nov 2006

What USB hardware is connected?? remember if you have hardware connected that is USB1 then a USB2 will run at the slower speed,i assume that it's a USB2 card your using.

fudge 08:45 04 Nov 2006

The XP PC does have USB2 (enhanced) drivers installed and the flash drive is a USB2 device.

Like I said, that drive works OK on other PC's. By that I mean to copy from the XP PC to the drive is very slow but to copy from the drive to another PC it's at full speed.

Likewise any other USB2 flash drives copies at high speed on the XP PC.

As I see it, the flash device must be working alright (it works OK on other machines) and the PC drivers must be OK as other flash drives work properly. But I must be missing something 'cos it just ain't working!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:40 04 Nov 2006

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?