USB 1.1 to 2.0 - Easy to convert?

POLECAT2 18:19 27 Dec 2003

How easy is it to convert from USB 1.1 to 2.0 and is it worth the effort.Many thanks in advance for any response

AubreyS 18:26 27 Dec 2003

Buy a PCI USB 2.0 card, install it and thats it! Any USB 1.0 device that you install will work at the slower speed of course. What O/S do you have?

POLECAT2 18:33 27 Dec 2003

XP Home Edition.

AubreyS 18:43 27 Dec 2003

Polecat2.

You should have no problem. The only thing that I have which is USB2 is a Maxtor USB hard drive and you do notice the difference. But as I say, if you have USB1 devices they will only work at the lower USB1 speed. Any problems and just come back to the forum.

Good luck.

billyliv 19:48 27 Dec 2003

Hi, Go for the PCI USB 2 card but try and get one with internal header pins. I got one from the States with 2 external sockets and 4 sets of internal header pins so that when I installed a front panel 7 in 1 Card Reader with 2 USB and 1 Firewire socket everything connects to the PCI card (Except the Firewire Port which needs a PCI card on its own). Cheers, Bill

Big Elf 20:13 27 Dec 2003

Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed. This provides full USB 2.0 support in XP.

POLECAT2 20:34 27 Dec 2003

Thanks Guys, this answers my question perfectly.

MAGGX 20:00 28 Dec 2003

Hi just to tack on to the add to the following . Ive had the same problem installing a usb2 which came with a Cannon scanner, which still comes up with a problem installing from the hardware wizard (xp) Ive read the past comments and installed the service pack 1 from windows but still no joy any ideas. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie