USB 1 or 2 for broadband

adamagain 21:45 23 Jul 2006

Just need to know if you have to have usb 2 or would 1 be ok
Also as i only have 2 usb's can you daisy chain and run broadband

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 23 Jul 2006

USB1 is ok for broard band

Rather than daisy chain buy a USB2 card approx £10 for 4 new ports.

Or a powered USB hub if you do not want to fit a card.

woodchip 22:01 23 Jul 2006

It don't make no diff

mgmcc 22:40 23 Jul 2006

With some broadband services reaching speeds approaching 8Mbps, the nominal speed of USB 1.1 at 12MBPS is getting "too close for comfort" and, if not performing at its full capacity, will impact on the performance of a broadband connection. If you are likely to use an 8Mbps connection, then you should install USB 2.0 ports with their higher speed of 480Mbps.

woodchip 23:28 23 Jul 2006

Why use USB? if you do not have Ethernet port get a PCI card with one in. it's a lot better than any USB

Stuartli 00:02 24 Jul 2006

Some broadband speeds are "approaching" 22MB to 24MB..:-)

mgmcc 07:37 24 Jul 2006

<<< Why use USB? >>>

Perhaps because the "cheap & nasty" modems supplied by ISPs tend to be USB?

Of course ethernet is the preferred option, because the technology was designed for networking, but its use probably involves investing additionally in either an ethernet ADSL modem or a combined Modem/Router.

Stuartli 09:28 24 Jul 2006

Whilst I would agree with you regarding the point about most ISPs supplying USB modems, I wouldn't say that they were cheap and nasty; my Sagem [email protected] has done its job satisfactorily over the past 18 months and is capable of handling up to 8MB.

In fact, until the sudden boom in broadband early in 2005 when it really took off, you had to buy your own modem, cables etc in any case.

The ISPs' offer of free modems and BB activation played a big role in expanding the use of BB.

FatboySlim71 09:40 24 Jul 2006

I agree with Stuartli when he says
"Whilst I would agree with you regarding the point about most ISPs supplying USB modems, I wouldn't say that they were cheap and nasty"

I was suppied with a BT modem by my ISP and it has perform well during two years of use and has never let me down.

Batch 10:00 24 Jul 2006

Yes, Ethernet was designed for networking. But many (most?) peoples' use of broadband (from the point where it enters into their home with ADSL)into their PCs can hardly be called networking.

Networking really entails multiple nodes co-operating. That's why the original Ethernet specification had CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multiple Access / Collision Detection), although intelligent routers have largely obviated the need for this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?