usb 1 or 2

chippy+ 16:32 04 Feb 2008

hi 1 of my pc's has an asrock K7S41GX motherboard with 6 usb 2 ports i put a usb extension cable into one of the ports and then a memory pen and got a message (this device can work better in an other port ) can it be that the cable is only for usb 1 all ports give the same result is there a difference between usb 1 and 2 extension cables thanks Chippy

Pamy 17:38 04 Feb 2008

"this device can work better in an other port" I am sure it said more than this , can you give us the full wording please ?

Gongoozler 17:39 04 Feb 2008

There's no difference between USB1 and USB2 cables that would have this effect. The only difference is that USB2 cables are better screened to handle the higher frequencies. You don't say what operating system you are using, but I suspect that you don't have the USB2 drivers installed. I believe that these are only automatically installed in Windows XP service pack2 and later.

peter99co 17:45 04 Feb 2008

Ignore the Message if the device is working ok.

Technotiger 17:45 04 Feb 2008

Have a look in Devices and expand the USB entries - if the word 'enhanced' without the commas is ther, then you do have USB2 - if 'enhanced' does not appear anywhere, then you only have USB1. If the latter is the case, you could add a PCI USB2 board with an extra 4 USB2 Ports.

brundle 17:46 04 Feb 2008

There are USB2 drivers for 98/ME on the Asrock site, had to download them myself earlier, though I don't recall 98 or ME ever showing the `This device would work faster` etc etc message.

Is USB2 enabled in the BIOS?

chippy+ 18:57 04 Feb 2008

hi thanks for all the replies the os is xp ihave enhanced controllers the usb all seem to be ok when the pen is connected directly to the usb it seems to be the extension will try new one thanks again Chippy

chippy+ 18:57 04 Feb 2008

hi thanks for all the replies the os is xp ihave enhanced controllers the usb all seem to be ok when the pen is connected directly to the usb it seems to be the extension will try new one thanks again Chippy

Technotiger 19:34 04 Feb 2008

OK - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?