USB 1 & 2 cables

Rockleys 18:40 27 Jun 2003

Have just updated to a PC with USB2. PC World have been trying to sell me cables specifically for USB2 yet my connected hardware appears to work OK with the original cables (USB1). Anybody wish to comment.

Quiller. 18:50 27 Jun 2003

Are you using any usb2 devices?

As usb2 is backwards compatible. It will work with usb1 cables and devices, but at the slower speeds.

-pops- 19:15 27 Jun 2003

USB2 cables are built from a special grade of kryptonite mined in the dark side of the planet Zog.

-pops- 19:16 27 Jun 2003

My previous posting was sent with my tongue firmly in my cheek!

Quiller. 19:31 27 Jun 2003

Ah.

So thats why they are so expensive.

-pops- 20:14 27 Jun 2003

;-))

USB1 cables consist of a piece of wire with a plug on each end. These plugs might be both the same or different to each other. The plugs fit into USB1 and USB2 devices and sockets.

USB2 cables consist of a piece of wire with a plug on each end. These plugs might be both the same or different to each other. The plugs fit into USB1 and USB2 devices and sockets.

Wire is wire. A plug is a plug.

sil_ver 20:36 27 Jun 2003

A plug may be a plug but wire can be a composite of diferent alloys or just copper or even gold. All will have different conductive qualities so possibly USB2 cable may not be the same as USB1.

by rights if you use USB2 devices you should use the appropriate usb2 cable as they have greater shielding to maintain the integrity of the signal, whether there is great deal of difference in the real world is debatable.

ellas 21:02 27 Jun 2003

no idea of the difference but they are listed seperately click here

ellas 21:03 27 Jun 2003

that link did'nt worked as planned just click on the usb cables link.

Belatucadrus 21:24 27 Jun 2003

click here for USB2

click here for USB

As above, no idea what the difference is, but the cable manufacturer lists them as separate items.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?