URL Blocker?

hhh123kid 14:49 12 Apr 2008

Hey guys. There are certain sites I just dont want my kids going onto so I'm looking for a program that will stop them from visiting the sites that I type into it. I know theres lots of programs like this but I just wanted to get your opinions on what is the easiest and the best.

Another reson I want this is cause I want to allow my wireless connection on certain devices in the house but not on others. I know that the router has WEP but they can just go on the main pc and go in and view it so i wanna block the URL to the default gateway too as the router settings cannot be passworded.

Anyone got any reccomendations? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.

Btw, I'd probably need this to work in both IE and Firefox.

VoG II 14:52 12 Apr 2008

You could use a hosts file click here and add your own entries to it.

hhh123kid 15:28 12 Apr 2008

Thanks but I have no idea how to use that to do what I want. Also I'm on vista and it says "Important! Windows Vista requires special instructions" so I think that would take me a while to get the hang of. Are there any programs that would so something similar?

Demora 16:25 12 Apr 2008

Its a long time since I did this but I think you can block sites from within 'Internet explorer' Ope IE and click tools/i nternet options/Restricted sites and then sites. From here you can type in any sites that you think you kids might try to visit.

I hope I'm right....my youngest is now 20 so no need for me to do this.

I don't know how good it is at keeping the sites blocked either.

D

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:01 12 Apr 2008

click here is free but IIRC, only works with a router.

G

hhh123kid 17:31 12 Apr 2008

Thanks guys. I found this before I checked your posts "K9 Web Protection" and it works great. Thanks for your replies :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?