URGENT:Monitor troubles on my laptop

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 13:11 25 Mar 2003

the screen on my laptop does not display anything and remains black i tried an external monitor and it works fine i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. i thought maybe a setting in windows? please get in touch if you have any idea's.

Thanks ;-)

graham 13:37 25 Mar 2003

Sounds like the light tube has gone, don't think you can mend those but stick around for the professionals!

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 15:52 25 Mar 2003

you say it cant be mended? so have i got to go buy a whole new laptop?

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 15:59 25 Mar 2003

after hearing this rather dissapointing news i was wondering how heavy a flat panel display is could i carry one of these around with me aswell as the laptop?

Belatucadrus 17:02 25 Mar 2003

Have you tried adjusting the brightness & contrast, my laptop has on occasion lost the settings and the screen appears black, but can be brought back with a bit of judicious fiddling.

Alex B 17:42 25 Mar 2003

sometimes on the laptops F keys ie f4/f5 there is a monitor symbol if you press ctrl and this you may get your screen back. i have to do that with mine when using a powerpoint projector

graham 18:14 25 Mar 2003

Don't despair just yet, the evening shift is coming on. In the meantime, could you ascertain which kind of screen you have, Backlit, Passive-Matrix or Active-Matrix. If not, the make and model. As the above suggestions, see if there is an external brightness control. You shouldn't need a new laptop, at the worst a new screen.

spikeychris 18:20 25 Mar 2003
  graham 18:04 26 Mar 2003

It may not have a light tube.

BlueMeanie 21:15 26 Mar 2003

Hi

Like Alex B says you could have activated the external monitor only option (I have impressed colleagues when I have "mended" their laptop within seconds).

Look for a picture of a screen on one of the top F - Function keys. Using Control or another key ie Fn (bottom left on a Toshiba) can activate the key.

Regards

Happy1 23:13 26 Mar 2003

I use a Samsung and F3 is the LCD/CRT in Green also F4 for standby. Fn key is also bottom left. I often knock off screen by accident. when looking elsewhere when typing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone