Urgent Virus Help Please!

virushelpplease! 17:12 11 Nov 2008

I've been infected!!!!!

I've got a 'Trojan Horse Dropper.Bravix.L'

My free version of AVG has picked it up and it's still scanning, but I cannot run SpyBot at all and have tried downloading other anti-virus/spyware software but the installation process doesn't work if I can even get that far.

Whilst typing this, I've found another one, and just another now, I need to get off the internet I think but will check on here when I can.

If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated. I know I haven't given much info, but I'm trying to rush so I'm not on the internet for long.

Summary of what's happening:
I get a big red circle with a white cross in it where Window Security centre should be, where a bubble pops up saying that I should click it to download the latest anti-virus software.

I can go onto search engines but when I try to click on most links, Firefox opens a new tab trying to sell me anti-spyware.

I can go direct to anti-virus website by entering the address, but cannot download anything.

I can download software from download.com but when trying to install, the installer disappears.

AVG has found the above Trojan Horse, along with a 'Trojan Horse Downloader.Zlob.AGJK' and 'Trojan Horse Agent.3.R'.

I will come on here again in a bit, but am very nervous about keeping my internet on!

Many many thanks for any help!

MAJ 17:27 11 Nov 2008

It's a rogue antispyware program, try using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware click here it'll get rid of it for you if you manage to install it. If you can't install it, try the online virus scanner at Trend click here

virushelpplease! 17:33 11 Nov 2008

thank you for that, after avg had finished, i restarted the pc and the red circle had gone.

i have managed to download Malwarebytes's Anit-Malware and seemingly installed it, but I can't open it up!

And I can't go to the Trend online scanner, making me think it's still not 100% fixed..EEEK!

(I'm also still having the problem with trying to go to and download from anti-software websites).

Btw, if it makes any difference, I am on XP, the most recent service pack (can't remember what number it's up to)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 11 Nov 2008

1. stop paniking
2, AVG has done its job finding these things

did you let AVG delete them or move to the virus vault?

what may have happen is that the infected files are need to run windows, now they are removed / deleted the files need replacing with a clean copy so a windows repair is required.

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

skidzy 17:48 11 Nov 2008

If you have managed to download Mbam,now boot into safemode (tapping F8 on startup) and run Mbam.

Another to try is Superantispyware click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 11 Nov 2008
  virushelpplease! 19:29 11 Nov 2008

thank you, i'm trying your suggestions now.

in the meantime, i've looked in avg's virus vault and the trojan horse things are there, should i get avg to delete them or keep them there?

(and trying not to panic! just worried that they can get my details from online shopping, banking, etc. this is my first virus!)

skidzy 19:36 11 Nov 2008

No need to panic,just stay calm and follow the advice given.

You really need to boot into safemode for now as less system requirements are loaded/needed.

Leave the vault alone for now,this will do no harm.

skidzy 19:46 11 Nov 2008

It is possible you have a Smitfraud infection,if Mbam and Superantispyware does not remove this (they should) try the SmitFraudFix click here please print the instructions first.

After running the Smitfraudfix,please remove the program from the computer,as you may find your antivirus will flag this as a threat...it is NOT a threat.

virushelpplease! 20:19 11 Nov 2008

thanks, i'll have a read of that.

Mbam and spybot still won't work even in safe mode, so i'm hoping this thing will work!

quite an annoyance these viruses aren't they? out of interest, what can this virus actually do in terms of damage it could cause me? and if i'm just connected to the internet, is that going to cause me any trouble?

thanks again

virushelpplease! 20:22 11 Nov 2008

i've tried to install that SmitfraudFix but when i try to, it comes up with the error "...has encountered a problem and needs to close. Do you want to send an error report etc.?" that happens when things crash. any work around for this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?