urgent problem involving cd-rom registry entries

illegaleagle 02:04 23 Oct 2003

Hi folks...

I'm currently having trouble with both of my cd-drives, one is in iomega cd-r and the other a samsung dvd drive.

Xp's device manager informs me that they are not working due to a problem with the registry entries for the drive, the P.O.S.T screen recognizes them fine, as does device manager, they just wont work.

The troubleshooter reccomended removing the drives from device manager and then re-installing via the hardware wizard, tried thi but to no avail.

Ive just done a re-install of xp pro on a cleanly formatted h.d, on day of install the devices worked fine, today however, they are acting up.

Have checked ide cables etc and no for a fact that jumpers are set correctly... does anyone have the foggiest whats going on?

Would appreciate replys as soon as poss as i have to install some software in order to complete assignment for tommorow...as i write i am in somewhat a state of panic!

Steven135 02:44 23 Oct 2003

Stating the obvious I know but have you tried a roll back yet?

Steven135 02:46 23 Oct 2003

Also have you tried removing them from device manager and then just rebooting allowing them to be detected and installed by the OS?

illegaleagle 16:39 24 Oct 2003

yeah tried these no luck?

Stuartli 17:50 24 Oct 2003

Have you, by any chance, tried setting one as the Master and the other as the Slave?

Stuartli 17:52 24 Oct 2003

I mean by above that you have not got both set to Master....or even Slave...:-)

It's necessary with a CD/DVD-ROM and rewriter setup so may work in this case.

illegaleagle 00:53 25 Oct 2003

yeah ive checked all the obvious things, even though i was sure the hardware was all configured right, seen as it worked the other day... seems to be a problem with windows because the bios picks up the drives ok...

powerless 02:31 25 Oct 2003

click here any help?

powerless 02:34 25 Oct 2003

p.s. there are a few others...

click here

Keyword(s): cd-rom registry entries

Search...

click here;en-us;282491&Product=winxp

powerless 02:34 25 Oct 2003

ignore the last click here.

illegaleagle 15:31 25 Oct 2003

nah no joy there im afraid..

gonna stew on it for a little while and maybe try my od cd rom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?