Urgent Help required!!! No wi fi connection, no wired connection, No sound from laptop!!!

julius44 05:54 01 Apr 2014

Hello and good morning to you all I need some urgent help please. I'm here with a friends laptop, its a windows 7, home premium. 64 bit with service pack 1. Its a samsung RV510 laptop.

She gave me the laptop last week to remove a virus, as her Norton had expired so she purchased kaspersky 2014 from amazon and she gave me the laptop and kaspersky. I installed the kaspersky and removed all the viruses, and the laptop was totally fine.

She brought back laptop yesterday too work, as she said that some icons seem to have changed and she could not access the internet. I have the laptop here with me, and yeah theres NO internet, either wired or wireless, no sound either, as at the bottom right hand corner there is red x on the sound icon and when I click on that it says the audio service is not running. When i go to settings and try and connect to the internet it says windows did not detect any networking hardware. I'm totally baffled by all this. I just needed to get this sorted ASAP. Any help suggestions would be much appreciated. Also strange as well, at the bottom right hand corner, all i have is the kaspersky icon, the battery icon, and the sound icon, and also a message that windows security centre cant be started.

Ian in Northampton 09:26 01 Apr 2014

Those symptoms would seem to indicate that, somewhere along the way, you've 'lost' the drivers for sound and networking. Check in Device Manager, see if there's yellow exclamation marks against those devices. If that is indeed the problem, you'll need to download the drivers to another machine, stick them on a USB drive, then install them from that. Otherwise, I'd suggest a system restore - but I'm not sure that's a good idea in view of your recent history with the virus.

onthelimit1 10:00 01 Apr 2014

Follow this for the security centre problem

julius44 16:58 01 Apr 2014

All sorted!!! under msconfig, I went to select Selective start up instead of normal start up. Now everything is back to normal and working 100%. Now does anyone know how i resolve my post please?? Thanks for all the help. much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?