Urgent help please!!

southpaw 17:30 10 Oct 2009

Hi all
I really need some help. I thought I knew what I was dong but looks like I don't.

I had an error message yesterday (can't remember what the message was exactly) anyway I performed Check Disk. I'm running Vista Home.

Anyway all seemed fine. But after about 2 hours I got a black screen. I had a quick look on net on my phone and suggestion was to "If you run check disk and your computer has to be restarted to scan your computer and your computer hangs at a black screen when it boots up, do the following:

Turn the computer off and back on and immediately start pressing F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. A black screen with different boot options will appear. Select to use the Last known good configuration (advanced) boot option
"

Which I have tried and it doesn't work. Still black screen.

I then tried restarting, F8 then chose repair option then used command prompt chkdisk c:/f

This then runs CHKDSK and verifies the index (after about 5 mins it completes the scan)

Then I type exit and restart.

BUT then when it restarts it says Windows didn;t shut down properly.

So I try open windows normal (also tried safe mode)

BUT ALL I get is a black screen again.

What have I done and anyone able to help.

Please?

Forum Editor 17:38 10 Oct 2009

What were you doing when you got the error message?

southpaw 17:45 10 Oct 2009

I was checking my outlook email.

On some emails (from different companies like Marks & Spencer, Misco the message appeared.) They were genuine emails ones that I subscribe too and the message wasn't there on others inc junk mail.

At first I thought maybe virus so I ran a AVG virus check which found nothing. Then I googled the message and chk disk was suggested.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 10 Oct 2009

F8 sounds as if you have a preinstall Vista op system.

F8 options should give you a start up repair option

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear
* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

9/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

southpaw 17:59 10 Oct 2009

Hi Fruit Bat

I've tried the Start up repair, doesn't fix

I tried last known configuration - doesn't fix

I tried System Restore option but it says there isn't a restore point. (There should be as I set one a few months ago!!)

Any other suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 10 Oct 2009

Sounds like the repair options are faulty as well as the Op system itself.

That usually means you need to use the retore disks you (should have) created when you first got the machine
or
borrow an Vista DVD from some one to try the repair options.

southpaw 18:18 10 Oct 2009

I have a restore disk (am I right that I will lose all my stuff now?)

Also whats the vista dvd?

southpaw 19:33 10 Oct 2009

I just tried opening in safe mode again and it gets down to crcdisk.sys then goes to black screen.

Any ideas?

I tried putting my restore disk in but my drive now isn't reading/ moving!!

rdave13 20:44 10 Oct 2009

Have a read of this thread; click here
Main suggestion is "3.) To fix it, I rebooting in Safe Mode. When it got stuck on crcdisk.sys, instead of powering down by holding power button for 4 secs, I pressed it once for a restart instead. The hard drive came back to life, and after some activity, it restarted". Worth a try.

southpaw 20:58 10 Oct 2009

Hi rdave

Thanks for the reply. I'd found that thread earlier - no luck

I'm currently reading through this thread click here

It seems to be a problem that doesn't have a 1 for all fix.

I've tried the hold shift key but all I get is a squeal after 5 hits.

Deekio 21:58 10 Oct 2009

Hi,
0xc00000e0 appears to be a fault message that
indicates that you either connected or disconnected
a device while vista was booting up or shutting
down. Try disconnecting everything from your machine
apart from keybord, mouse and monitor, and then
reboot. It's worth a try.
Col

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?