Urgent Help with Outlook 2000

Gorillaz 22:31 24 Jan 2003

I have backed up all my outlook folders using the microsoft personal folders backup utility.
I have saved everything as a personel folder backup.pst file (this backup inclued all my mail folders etc.) to CD and I am trying to import onto a new PC. The problem I am having is when I try to import the file I get the message that I must define the properties of the file before I can proceed. Hope somebody is burning the midnight oil I have a courier arriving at between 10 & 12 to collect my laptop for delivery to my daughter at university.

Old PC man 22:41 24 Jan 2003

You need the .pst file management stuff from Microsoft Office.

Open Outlook, click on help and go to Office on the web. On the Outlook site there are tools to help with your task.

Hope you find this useful. If I knew how to do a "Click Here" I'd have put Click Here.

Cheers

John

Lú-tzé 22:47 24 Jan 2003

Old PC man - to put a "click here" just past the url!

eg click here

is www pcadvisor co uk without the dots (i.e. all together).

Old PC man 22:55 24 Jan 2003

Ta for that. I'll use it in future.

Sorry Gorillaz, I didn't mean to kidnap your thread.

John

Peter E 22:57 24 Jan 2003

I don't know the answer to your problem but if you are really stuck try these links...

Microsoft Support Outlook backup help...

click here

MS Outlook MVP site (use search facility)...

click here

I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise but if not try the links.

Regards

jazzypop 23:05 24 Jan 2003

Copy the backup.pst file from CD to the desktop.

Right-click the file on the desktop, choose Properties.

Remove the 'Read-only' tick in the Attributes section. Exactly where the Attributes section is will depend on which version of Windows you are running.

Open Outlook, choose File > Import > Import from another Program or File > Personal Folder File(.pst).

When asked for the location, hit the Browse button, then click the down-arrow next to the Location box (at the top of the Browse dialog box). At the top of the list will be Desktop - select that as your location.

Gorillaz 23:20 24 Jan 2003

11.00p.m. and got all these replies, thanks everyone, at least my daughter will be speaking to me, she alraedy thinks I am a big meanie not letting her have the new laptop.
No doubtl I will be back with problems with XP in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?