urgent help needed on stuck lens cover

notrom 12:54 20 Jan 2008

My partner has just bought a Samsung nv8 digital camera and is leaving for Heathrow and Australia in about three hours. Testing the camera, I have realised that the lens cover is only closing half way across the lens. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong and how to cure it??

johndrew 13:03 20 Jan 2008

Is the lens barrel retracting fully? I think the cover mechanism and this are linked. You could try, very gently, applying finger pressure to the barrel to see if it closes; if this fails it looks like a repair shop job.

Technotiger 13:10 20 Jan 2008

If your partner takes the receipt and guarantee to Oz, they might be able to get something done about it there under the guarantee, depends how long your partner will be away for. If you have a lens brush, maybe a light brushing might clear a spot of dust which could be preventing the cover closing fully.

notrom 13:16 20 Jan 2008

johndrew - I suspect you're right about linked mechanisms. As far as I can see it's retracting fully. light finger pressure no help.

Technotiger - good thinking - she's going via Singapore. Don't have a lens brush though the same thought about dust occurred to me.

Thank you both.

notrom 13:17 20 Jan 2008

johndrew - I suspect you're right about linked mechanisms. As far as I can see it's retracting fully. light finger pressure no help.

Technotiger - good thinking - she's going via Singapore. Don't have a lens brush though the same thought about dust occurred to me.

Thank you both.

Pineman100 13:20 20 Jan 2008

What state is the battery in? If it's on its last legs, it might not have enough oomph to retract the lens and close the lens cover all together.

notrom 13:31 20 Jan 2008

pineman100 - battery fully charged yesterday.

jack 14:06 20 Jan 2008

Sadly these item are very fragile
only the slightest knock can put them out of kilter
IF such a misfortune occures it like all small electronics is usually not a repair situation.
If it is sent away you are looking at - post/packing
Inspection charge/Then almost certainly a repair quote that needs a mortgage and or inspection charge only to be told = no can do.
Best thing is to write it off and Get one in Singapore.

Technotiger 14:11 20 Jan 2008

From what I can gather, this Camera is New!!

So if necessary it should be a complete replacement, not a repair.

notrom 14:18 20 Jan 2008

Technotiger - we bought the bloody thing on Friday! And jack, while I've never used a digi camera before, I'm well aware that they are complex and fragile and I know that I haven't knocked it or anything remotely like that.

Technotiger 14:29 20 Jan 2008

Anyway - possession of Receipt and Guarantee, may well ensure a speedy replacement in Singapore or in OZ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?