Urgent help needed with Netgear DG834G

Voy06 14:40 18 Jan 2009

Hi guys, hoping you can help me.

I connect to BB via Tesco broadband using the Thomson SpeedTouch modem. I have recently bought a Netgear DG834G router. I will not be using the router for wireless connection only wired. Operating system is Windows XP (fully up to date)

I disconnected the speedtouch modem and connected the Router to the PC using the Ethernet cable supplied (everything connected properly as per guides), started the PC up and the PC would not load past the Windows Welcome screen. I restarted a couple of times with no success, at one point I got a black screen stating Windows could not start properly and to either enter safe mode, start windows normally or last good configuration.

I decided to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the PC and start the PC as normal, low and behold the PC loaded as per normal into windows desktop. I then connected the ethernet cable to the PC and the PC froze, mouse wouldn't work, PC just froze. I have now disconnected the router and re-connected the Speedtouch modem and everything is working as it should.

I have never used a router before and never used an ethernet cable.

I have checked the Ethernet NIC in Device Manager and status is its working properly.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

brundle 16:31 18 Jan 2009

3 possibilities; 3 internal NIC or NIC socket, faulty cable, faulty modem or modem NIC socket.

Tech Guy 19:30 19 Jan 2009

Just check you didn't connect the small conector (RJ45) from the ADSL filter into the enthernet port in the router (they fit with a push) and that you triple check the wiring as per the diagram that came what the router.

If done the above just go back to the shop and exchange the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?