urgent help

aboutit 14:49 28 May 2007

I have a sony desktop model VGC-M1 . I tried to do a system restore and on start up got the following message windows was unable to start try using start normally or last known good. I tried using start normally and it brought me back to the same screen so I used last known good but the same thing happened. After 4 attempts I decided to do a complete recovery I put in the recovery disk and all went well I put in the application recovery disc on prompt and that complete ok I restarted the computer and received exactly the same message as before plus the
message Missing windows\system32\config\system insert set up disc and press r I only have the 2 discs I mentioned the recovery and application recovery. csan someone please help I am using XP Home

VoG II 14:59 28 May 2007

click here but note the Warning.

aboutit 15:03 28 May 2007

Windows xp was already loaded on this computer so what do i do now

Danoh 15:37 28 May 2007

I have a Sony VAIO laptop & when the exact same situation happened to me, it turned out the hard disk was faulty - took 2 wks for the laptop to be picked up, fixed and returned under warranty.

If yr desktop is still under warranty, I would go via SONY support and be patient for the fix to be sorted out.
If you're not, you can go out and get a second hard disk, fit it in place of your existing hard disk, and restore onto the new hard disk.

Are you familiar with what type of hard disk you have currently and how to go about replacing or adding a new hard disk?

aboutit 15:39 28 May 2007

no unfortunately

Danoh 16:27 28 May 2007

No? Not under warranty? Not familiar with what HD and/or replacing it? Which or all?

Danoh 16:28 28 May 2007

If you have a Windows XP startup disk, you can check if the HD is ok by "CHKDSK /F"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?