urgent! cant boot to restored hard drive

serpoid 21:13 28 Apr 2007

Hi guys, sorry to run this again but i am desperate to boot into this partition as it contains all of my work.
I had early warning of an impending hard drive failure, so i created an image of the entire drive including OS and copied it to a new hard drive, the drive is part of a dual boot setup both win xp. The new drive has the same drive letters etc, the boot screen shows it and i can select it, but the booting processs stalls at the welcome screen.
I have tried using recovery console to repair the boot record but nothig seams to work.
the image was made with Acronis true image BTW.
Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Cheers in advance

STREETWORK 21:56 28 Apr 2007

When windows boots, hit either F2 or the Del key repeatedly. This will get you into the bios. From here you should be able to select the drive you want to boot from.

woodchip 22:01 28 Apr 2007

Why not remove the Original Drive and boot from the new one set it as Master if its a EIDE drive

serpoid 22:09 28 Apr 2007

thanx for responding guys, I have 4 drives on the system one holds the c drive an active xp partition and 2 others are for data only the fourth drive is the new hard drive that has been restored from the backup file that i created with acronis TI 10,I can see that the new drive has all the components that were restored from the c drive, but when I select the drive from the dual boot menu it boots to the welcome screen and then stops, hope this makes sense

woodchip 22:17 28 Apr 2007

Yes but when you created the Image was the new drive connected and working? as the info in the boot record would be in the Image. As I said if not remove the old Drive and put the new one in place of it, then connect the old as slave

serpoid 22:45 28 Apr 2007

the old drive has been reformatted after the image was made, a new drive was then installed and the image copied to it, the letter assigned to the new drive is the same as the letter assigned to the old one which is G: the old drive is currently on used for data storage only.

phono 22:58 28 Apr 2007

Have you tried connecting only the new drive as master to see if it will then boot?

Diversion 00:25 29 Apr 2007

I don't know how Acronis True Image works, I use Powerquest Drive Image. But with Drive Image it asks if it is not being restored to the same drive which it came from, it will make any neccesary adjustments to the drive to which it's being restored to. Does Acronis also deal with issues such as this?

Jake_027 00:52 29 Apr 2007

If you can get to another computer, install TI on it tempoarily and then when you load it one of the options is to explore an image. If you select the original .tib file, you can then view it in windows explorer and copy and paste files as you would normally. I know that this won't help with booting, but it will at least enable you to get your data.

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?