URGENT! blocked registry keys by accident...

amoeba 17:46 29 Oct 2007

I did something very stupid with my adaware program by blocking the registry keys to most of my programs. Including windows programs and cannot open .exe files.

Most of my icons are gone, as in they are not showing the orignal program icons but showing the icon with the square thing, the icon you get when your pc doesn't recognise a file format.

I can't system restore from start menu
Is there another way I can do this??
please help!! :(
thanks!!

mfletch 18:00 29 Oct 2007

Hi, I have found this,

Have a look at this web site by Doug Knox

click here

and download the LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

Unzip the file and double click on it. When prompted do you want to merge... select yes, Ad-watch will then notice the change and prompt you as well. Make sure you except the change in Ad-watch as well.

If this fails download the EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files) fix from the above web site and follow the instructions at the top of the web page to start regedit from Task Manager. Once Regedit starts select file then select import and browse to import the LNK and EXE fixes you have downloaded. You will need to unzip them first.

Any help,

mfletch

woodchip 18:04 29 Oct 2007

Try running System Restore to Old date

amoeba 18:47 29 Oct 2007

Registry Editor is opened. what am I suppose to do now??!!
please help!

rawprawn 19:24 29 Oct 2007

Can you get into Safe Mode (Tap F8 while rebooting and do System Restore from there. Or
From the Command Prompt click here

amoeba 00:11 30 Oct 2007

I couldn't system restore in safemode cos it won't even allow me to open .exe files. I called a friend went through the settings in .exe folder in registry editor and then followed MFLETCH advice. After 6hrs I got my icons back and programs are running.
Thanks guys! appreciate it! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?