Urgent backup help required PLEASE!

[email protected] 10:56 28 Feb 2007

My DVD drive needs replacing and the engineer is calling tomorrow but has asked me to back up my files (not easy when the DVd drive doesn't work and crashes the PC!!)The software also isn't working too well so i don't think i'm going to be able to use the Cd drive either.
I can however drag various documents to my laptop via the network. ironically i have ordered an external hard drive but it hasn't arrived yet :( How I wish i'd paid for express delivery!!
My question is how do I save my Outlook express e-mail address book and is there anyway to save e-mails?
Many thanks!!

VoG II 11:00 28 Feb 2007
  Jackcoms 11:03 28 Feb 2007

Assuming XP, if you use the Backup wizard and save 'Everyone's Documents and Settings' to, say, a USB pen drive, that will include your e-mails/address book

[email protected] 11:06 28 Feb 2007

What size pen drive would i need roughly? i have a 1 GB one!

[email protected] 11:07 28 Feb 2007

Thanks VoG that looks a good link!

Jackcoms 11:18 28 Feb 2007

"What size pen drive would i need roughly? i have a 1 GB one!"

Go to C:\Documents and Settings. Right click on the Documents and Settings folder and click Properties. That will tell you how big it is

Pine Man 12:09 28 Feb 2007

I don't know if it is relevant but the instructions on the link apply only to OE versions upto 6.

Jackcoms 12:13 28 Feb 2007

"apply only to OE versions upto 6"

Er, there aren't any other versions - at least not with XP

[email protected] 12:19 28 Feb 2007

There are, I am on 7!!

vinnyT 12:21 28 Feb 2007

If you are still able to get online with that pc, then Carbonite (click here) gives you a free 15 day trial (no credit card details required for the trial, just email addy and password) and may be worth trying.

Hope this helps.

VoG II 12:22 28 Feb 2007

There is IE7 but not OE7, surely?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires