Uploading digital video tape

Mr York 20:14 30 Dec 2010

I have a 10yr old Sony PC5 camcorder and the software that came with it no longer works to
transfer the digital video tapes into my PC. Even Sony have said they no longer support it and can't fix it for me; they advised there is more up-to-date software that can be bought or downloaded, they just didn't give me any names.
Windows Media player is not much help; it seems to run out of steam every time after about 11 minutes. I have a backlog of 1hr tapes I want to transfer but I do need something that won't stop
part way through.
Anyone know of anything, either free or purchasable?

I am Spartacus 20:24 30 Dec 2010

It's possible that the transfer is stopping after 11 minutes due to your hard disk being formatted in FAT32 rather than NTFS which has a 4GB file size limit.

If that's the case and you're using XP then see click here

Although the process should be non destructive it's a good idea to backup all your data before starting.

Mr York 21:45 30 Dec 2010

Thanks Spartacus; tried that but got the message that the hard drive already is NTFS.
By the way, I meant to say Windows Movie Maker, not Windows Media Player, which starts the process but doesn't get very far.
So, still a bit stumped really.

I am Spartacus 22:11 30 Dec 2010

There's a guide to importing video at click here but I suspect you've probably tried that. I assume the disk where you're saving the file is either your only disk in the PC or another one also formatted in NTFS.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements to import files from a camcorder but whether it will do it from your older model would need to be checked. It's expensive if this is just a one off transfer and it's not the most intuitive video editing program around if you're new to it.

What software came with the camcorder and which version of Windows are you using?

hastelloy 03:43 31 Dec 2010

If you have a DVD recorder, you can record direct to DVD from your camcorder and then copy the files to PC.

Terry Brown 07:21 31 Dec 2010

Serif do a large range of Video / Photo editing software and many of the older versions are free.
There may be something you can use.
Terry
click here

stlucia2 08:30 31 Dec 2010

I've used used Pinnacle and Ulead Video Studio 8 to copy movies from my 10-year-old Panasonic camera to my PC. My experience is that they're both good editors too, and Ulead is available quite cheaply. No special drivers were needed, so I expect it should manage your Sony camera also.

Mr York 15:14 31 Dec 2010

Thanks all; that's given me a few options to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires