Upgraing sec. of computer

Matt.tt 19:02 12 May 2007

Hi,
I have an 8 year old computer which I added some ram to and for the last 2 years, have used as a host computer/server. It Does not actually run any server os, but I use it to host websites, emails, shared resources, printers, (last to are on my own private network) and so on.

I realised that it is slowly grounding to a halt. It does not get very heavy usage, but it is getting more and more as I do more with it.

It currently grinds through with a old AB-BH6 motherboard,
327,224 kb ram. I am not sure about the processor. and runs windows 2000pro

I am a bit of a novice when in comes to upgrading computers but I want to be able 2 do it!

Could anyone tell me what they think of my suggestions below, and /or what I would be best off doing to upgrade it. I do not need much more power, but I do need some speed.

1. To just get a load more ram. Can you put too much ram in a computer?

2. Buy a motherboard and processor bundle from somewhere. If I do this, can I put the old graphics card, cpu, e.t.c back into it, or will old things like what i just mentioned no longer be supported by the newer motherboard.

Finally Whatever happens I need to buy a new psu (as the current one is very noisy and can make sparks!) and more Hard drive space. Do you think I am best of using IDE for this?

Sorry there is a lot in this posting, but I though id do it all in one go.

Any help is much appreciated.
Many thanks

Matt

MAJ 19:13 12 May 2007

The problem with getting more RAM is that your RAM is probably the older SDRAM PC100 or PC133. That type of RAM is getting prohibitely expensive as manufacturers no longer make it in any great quantity. Your best bet is to go for a new motherboard bundle, something like this, for example. click here

MAJ 19:14 12 May 2007

prohibitely = prohibitively (I think)

Technotiger 19:15 12 May 2007

Hi, I would suggest that to save yourself a whole lot of hassle, you go for a completely new bundle. In the long run probably cheaper than upgrading what you have, which as I am sure you are aware, is pre-historic in PC terms.

Have a look at click here

Technotiger 19:16 12 May 2007

I must type faster :-)

Matt.tt 19:23 12 May 2007

Hi,

Thanks MAJ I get your ponint with your the ram. I do like the idea of getting a motherboard bundle.

Technotiger; thanks, I had'nt thought about buying a new system! Yeah I know that it is pre-historic!! so I might go with a brand spanking new system.

Can I just ask, as I have never managed to find out, what is a barebone?!??

Many thanks.

MAJ 19:30 12 May 2007

Barebone click here but some manufacturers will install other components as well, but you invariably wont get an operating system installed. click here

Matt.tt 19:35 12 May 2007

thanks MAJ, but can I finially just ask, becuase I don't quite nd, do you mean the barebones on novatech have everything but the CPU and operating system?

Matt.tt 19:35 12 May 2007

oh and cd drive, hdd e,t,c

[email protected] 19:43 12 May 2007

i think a barebone pc is the best option, if you get a new motherboard, it will probably have pci express graphics slot, so you possibly wont be able to use your present one, psu maybe different etc, i can see a lot of problems, where as if you bought this:
click here
plug your existing bits in and away you go, i guess, and i should think you will notice a big difference!
evrythings pre assembled and the parts are made to work with eachother, i recently upgraded a cpu, i thought that would improve things, ended up upgrading graphics ram, psu extra cooling etc, i think this is the simplest option.

Matt.tt 19:56 12 May 2007

Ok many thanks adman 2 and everyone else. This has been very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?