Upgrading/rebuilding my 7 year old PC.

Jebster 23:57 05 Oct 2013

Hey guys,

Like the title says I want to upgrade my gaming rig that I built myself 7-8 years ago.

What it's got:

Power 550W max.

Nvidia geforce 9800 GTX+. (newest thing in there)

Processor model is unknown. (probably single or duo core at best)

Not sure on motherboard as its facing away from me.

2GB RAM - really old.

I basically want a budget PC that will play most new games on around medium graphics. Currently I'm hitting a bottleneck with my processor because its so old when playing planetside 2 so that needs a big upgrade. The motherboard will probably need an upgrade too, so will the RAM.

Can you guys suggest any good cost effective upgrades that will last a few years? My budget is around £200. Will I also need to get a new power block? I don't use any overclocking or anything like that.

Cheers guys, just lemme know if you need any more info and I'll do my best.

Thanks,

Jebster.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 06 Oct 2013

sounds like you need to look at a motherboard bundle

Jebster 10:53 06 Oct 2013

Thanks for the reply, Those look pretty good thanks!

Just one question though, most places I look about processors talk lots about intel processors for gaming and rarely mention AMD, is there a reason? should I fork out a bit extra for an intel one seems as I have a gaming rig?

Jebster 11:11 06 Oct 2013

Thanks for the reply,

I just had a look at the bundle you linked and that looks pretty good for the money so i think ill probably try and save up for that one. Could i for example buy the parts separately (processor and motherboard) and then add the memory later? I should have enough money for the first 2 now and can get the memory later.

Also will my power supply be sufficient to run those components?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?