upgrading to XP

mode 10:20 13 Feb 2007

Hi

If I upgrade from ME to XP will it wipe all my software and drivers that are currently have installed ?

Kate B 11:02 13 Feb 2007

Not if you do an upgrade installation. But it's generally better to do a clean installation.

€dstowe 11:14 13 Feb 2007

You may find that software intended for Me is not compatible with XP, especially if the software is meant for FAT32 system and your XP is NTFS (which it should be).

VoG II 11:22 13 Feb 2007

If you do an upgrade then the disk will still be formatted as FAT32. You can then convert to NTFS if you wish click here

This should not affect whether software runs or not although for older programs you may need to use Compatibility Mode click here

mode 14:55 13 Feb 2007

All very confussing to me as i'm a total novice. I was given the pc and it has a good graphics and sound card. It also has some useful suites installed but I have no software or drivers for it. I really didn't want to lose none of this when installing a newer version of windows.

If I buy the upgrade how much do you think a shop would charge to install it for me and download the drivers for the hardware installed ?

Kate B 15:22 13 Feb 2007

Don't pay someone else to do it - it's not a difficult process and it's very satisfying to pull off something like that yourself. If you're upgrading it is literally as easy as putting the CD in the drive and following the prompts.

Can you get the discs containing the software from the person who gave you the machine/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone