Upgrading Works to Office 97

Lissielou 11:00 01 Nov 2007

I have a desktop with Works 7 networked to a laptop with Office 2003. Don't have CD for Office 2003 available and can't use Office on desktop via network as it asks me to run setup. Bought Office 97 Professional upgrade for desktop but when running setup it can't see any office products because they are higher versions? Should I just give up??

octal 11:03 01 Nov 2007

Depending on what work you do OpenOffice might cover all your needs click here and the best part is it's free, so if you don't like it just remove it.

Lissielou 11:11 01 Nov 2007

I just want to be able to open word documents and send them and power point stuff to people so they can read them. Does open office save word documents as .doc etc.

Lissielou 11:15 01 Nov 2007

Is it not possible to run setup on the desktop for the Office 2003 version on the laptop - what files do I need to copy across that would let me do this?

octal 11:18 01 Nov 2007

Certainly does, it's got the following packages; presentation, spreadsheet, writer, database, draw, plus a few other things that that MS product doesn't have, and they will all save so that Microsoft products will open them and OpenOffice will open most MS Word package documents, the only slight downside is if you are using Macros you might run into so incompatibilities, to be honest I've never had any problems sending and receiving documents from work.

Lissielou 11:25 01 Nov 2007

Thanks for this Octal, really appreciate it. Will try open office tonight. If you have an answer to my extra question about copying files across would appreciate.

octal 11:40 01 Nov 2007

Sorry I can't really help with copying the setup files across because I don't run Windows, but I suspect with Microsoft products you can't do that because you have to have the full CD, but wait and see if anyone else has an idea first.

TonyM 12:01 01 Nov 2007

You can't just copy Office 2003 over from the laptop - installing is more complex than just copying over the basic files, and this is what the install program on the CD does for you.

Your "upgrade" disk is exactly what is says - i.e. designed to upgrade an older version of Office to Office 97....during the installation process it checks to see that you have a valid copy of one of the versions it is designed to upgrade. You don't, so it won't go any further.

Without access to the Office 2003 CD I would go for the OpenOffice solution - it is a very good alternative to the Microsoft package , and it's free.

Lissielou 12:25 01 Nov 2007

Thank you Octal and Tom for the info, most helpful. Will sort myself out, but at least I know the story now and can try and get my money back for the Upgrade I bought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?