upgrading from wired to wireless

unclepauly 22:23 02 Jul 2006

i have a BT broadband package that includes the Voyager 210 ADSL wired router. i want to go wireless, so i intend to purchase a wireless router/modem. My question is, is the set up as simple as disconnecting the wired router and connecting the wireless router? Or does the router need special configuration settings which i have to get from my ISP (which is BT)?

ade.h 22:29 02 Jul 2006

"Is it simple?" Yes.

"Does it need ISP settings?" Won't do much without them! Most - such as VPI/VCI values, protocol, etc. - are standard, but you'll need to find the MTU if it's fixed (often is) and the encapsulation mode.

unclepauly 22:44 02 Jul 2006

reply to ade.h -

thanks for the reply, however you are dealing with a bit of a novice in this area!

im not sure what mtu or encapsulation mode is but ill google for this. one extra point is that the wireless router i am getting is also a BT Voyager (the wireless 2091 router). will this affect the need for configuration given that my ISP is BT and also the wired router that i currently am using is also a BT Voyager?

thanks!

josie mayhem 23:02 02 Jul 2006

I shouldn't imagine that you will have a problem, I have the 2091 router and the only problem that I had was conecting to the network (internet no probs) but this was due to transfering from my wired router which had a static address and the 2091 uses a dyamic address so had to change in the properties, if not sure how to do it, it take about 20 seconds or so via bt support

ranny411 13:08 06 Jul 2006

I think you will need to input your username and password for the BT connection in the router configuration settings. You get to these by typing 192.168.1.1 in the explorer address bar. If it asks for login details then username: admin, password: admin is usually the default for this.

Once you log in just simply go through the side menu and find the username and password section. Also dont forget to activate your wireless security (WEP or WPA) while you're there ;)

ade.h 15:52 06 Jul 2006

The IP that you have given needs clarification: most routers operate in the 192 range, with a starting IP of 192.168.*.1, where * can represent 0, 1 or 2.

Some routers operate in the 10 range, with a starting IP of 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2.

unclepauly 01:13 07 Jul 2006

many thanks to everyone who replied,

I now have a working wireless setup - case closed!

-Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?