Upgrading Windows NT4 Workstation to XP Pro

pompeyfc 14:31 16 Apr 2003

Is it possible to upgrade NT4 Workstation to XP Pro using the Full disk rather than the upgrade. Something tells me that it will but I hesitate to try it until I am a little more sure. Does anybody know if this will work please?

MartinT-B 15:26 16 Apr 2003

IMHO, It will best if you format the Hard Disk and perform a 'clean' install, leaving no trace of the previous OS.

The PC will then be an XP desktop and have no relation to NT at all, apart from the fact that Xp is partly based on NT.

MartinT-B 15:28 16 Apr 2003

will WORK best....

pompeyfc 17:23 16 Apr 2003

Thanks Martin, Unfortunately, my friend wishes to retain existing programs and data where possible and so wiping clean is not really an option if avoidable.

leemgilbert 17:30 16 Apr 2003

You cannot install windows XP pro after formatting the harddrive, you need to install it from a windows platform because i made this mistake, and had to install windows ME again then XP!!

MartinT-B 17:36 16 Apr 2003

Sorry mate,

You must have done something wrong!

I bought a brand new HDD and a New copy of XP Pro. Built the PC from scratch. Checked the BIOS, set it to boot from CD. Put the XP disk in the CD, restarted and XP formatted my new HDD and installed itself.

Maybe you had an upgrade disk, not a full program as I did.

MartinT-B 17:39 16 Apr 2003

Hmmmmm.

Retaining the Data is no problem - just back up, and replace when XP is installed.

You might find that trying to hang on to as much of the old stuff as poss. without using the upgrade option is a bit messy.

My gut instinct is to back up all data, and clean install including all the old programs etc. then re-install the back-ups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?