Upgrading windows 98 & 2000Pro to XP

samann 07:44 27 Mar 2003

I am planning to take the plunge and upgrade 2 Pcs - one with Windows 2000 Pro and the other with Win98 SE to XP Pro but feel very nervous about doing it in case it all goes wrong.
What precautions should I take to make sure that everything will work OK when I do the upgrade?

bamfiesler 08:20 27 Mar 2003

Go to Microsoft's site,where I am sure you can download a compatibiltiy test program. Also, make sure ALL your hardware drivers are up to date. I've just upgraded fro 98se, and I removed the hardware that supposedly WON'T work, and all's fine, except for Norton 2000, which hangs every now and then.

babyxinxin 08:21 27 Mar 2003

i think that the best way is upgrade ur OS to Xp in GDI interface,start ur OS,insert XP CD to ur CDROM,then wait a moment,it will autorun,this way is very simple and u can remain all of ur softwares that ur have installed,u do not be worry about others,the bill gates will help u~~~.

samann 08:37 27 Mar 2003

I have identified drivers for my printers & external modem but am concerned about the CD Writer which is an Acer CRW1208A which I can find no info on (after a round about chase to benq as well) In the system info this shows as ATAPI cd-r/rw 12x8x32 so does that mean that drivers for any type of CD writer like this will work?

On software I need to know if Windows XP itself will enable me to burn CDs as the version I have of Adaptec EAsyCD Creator is too old and I don't want to buy a new one.

User-312386 08:40 27 Mar 2003

the cd-rw will be fine in xp

there is no need to worry about that one

XP has its own writing software(drag and drop)

madboy33

bamfiesler 08:44 27 Mar 2003

Windows Media Player will allow this, although I still use Nero. I aslo had a problem re driver for my dvdrom, but XP should have generic drivers for most drives.

samann 08:48 27 Mar 2003

Thanks Madboy33 at least thats one less thing to be concerned about.

There doesn't appear to be a download forhardware compatability on teh MS website so I guess that means I need to go through the listing for each component of the machine and check its there - what a bore. ANy other suggestions?

User-312386 23:21 29 Mar 2003

when you say hardware, what have you got on your system?

We all will try and get you a driver for each component

madboy33

powerless 23:45 29 Mar 2003

The Upgrade Advisor isnt it that good you know. It picked up 5 problems on a computer running Windows 98 and when XP was installed on it, there were no problems. XP ran beautifully...

Are you planning on using the Windows XP HOME or PROFESSIONAL edition?

When you say up Upgrade, do you mean buying the Upgrade CD? If yes you can do this with this Windows 98SE, with no problem.

But...

Windows 2000 Professional is not upgradeable to Windows XP Home, you have to upgrade to Windows XP Professional.

Windows 98SE - XP Home

Win 2000 Prof. - XP Professional

When you do come to install Windows XP its best to do a fresh install, this means wiping the hard drive clean by formatting. Put the CD in away you go. You will be asked to put your Win 98SE and W2K CD so it checks that youe eligable to install the upgrade of XP then it will install...

During setup you may not have the option to format the HDD as FAT32 if your HDD is bigger than 32GB. If it is then it will only give you the options to format as NTFS. NTFS is far greather than FAT32 so you might as use it.

powerless 23:46 29 Mar 2003

Upgrade to XP Pro - i see it now.

samann 08:37 06 Apr 2003

Thanks for the help. I will do a clean install for the 98SE machine as it needs a new hard drive anyway) but not on the other machine.
So if I've got it straight now - I will back up all my data onto CD, follow the upgrade instructions given for my printer by HP & for the modem, then if I stick the upgrade CD in, it should all work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?