Upgrading to USB 2.0

Mike_R 21:13 18 Nov 2005

I have a Feb 2000 Evesham PC with just two 1.0 USB ports. At present, I use an external 4 way connector, but I want to attach a scanner which really requires a 2.0 USB connection. Is it just a simple matter of buying a 4 port USB 2.0 card and slotting it into one of my two spare PCI slots within the machine.
As you will gather from this, I am new to the upgrade game, other than adding more memory a year ago.

woodchip 21:21 18 Nov 2005

If you are running XP it's just as you say a PCI USB2 card

phono 21:46 18 Nov 2005

Try here click here for a USB 2.0 card, I have used a couple now and they are first class so far, carriage is a flat £1.99 regardless of order size.

I have used this site a number of times now and each time they have been very quick to supply the goods.

Just to add that you will get a blister packed PCI USB 2.0 card, plug it into an empty PCI slot, switch the PC on and XP will do the rest.

They also do USB cables from 99p to £1.49 to £1.99 for 1.5, 3 and 5 metre cables respectively.

Just remember that you have to add VAT.

keef66 23:36 18 Nov 2005

how peculiar, I posted the same question last week. Bought a usb card for a fiver from e-buyer, and installed it less than an hour ago. Now the kids are stuffing music into their mp3 players at hitherto unheard of speeds. Marvellous stuff this upgrading!

Mike_R 23:37 18 Nov 2005

Thanks all. I'm running XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?