Upgrading TSST Corp DVD drive to DVD+R

tallboy 09:16 28 Jun 2007

I have a TSST Corp TSH552B DVD drive. Whilst it reads and writes to DVD-R disks fine, I would now like to upgrade it to read / write DVD+R disks.

Can this be done? Is the drive firmware upgradeable? If so, where can I get the upgrade s/w from?

Thanks

Tallboy

jimv7 10:45 28 Jun 2007

As far as I know, you cannot update a drive to + and -, you will have to buy another drive that supports multi formats,

click here

tallboy 20:52 28 Jun 2007

An insert included with some Memorex DVD+R blank disks I purchased (by accident) indicates that some drive manufacturers' drives firmware are upgradeable to use 16X DVD+R disks - but it doesn't state the starting point. (i.e. a lower speed DVD+R drive or DVD-R)

What are the advantages of DVD+R over DVD-R? Is it worth changing the drive on a 5-year old PC? (The DVD-R drive is only a couple of years old.)

postie24 21:00 28 Jun 2007

All the firmware upgrade would do,is to enable the drive to burn at 16X,not to alter the format at which it can burn to.

tallboy 22:01 28 Jun 2007

Thanks for the info postie24. I guess I'll just have to donate the pack of DVD+R disks I brought to my daughter to use on her new Mesh PC!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017