Upgrading SATA hard drive in Laptop

ajm 14:41 14 Mar 2008

I have a sony VGN-S4M/S laptop and it currently has a 60GB SATA hard drive. I am considering upgrading to a larger capacity hdd and am wondering if the Machine will be able to see a 250GB drive?

Why wont it work 14:47 14 Mar 2008

It's probably best to consult the manual first. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but some laptops can be unusual. I had a laptop which in the manual said it could only take up to 160gb, surely enough when I dismissed this and tried it anyway it didn't work. I suspect that that is a relatively rare occurence though, probably a bios flaw or something.

I have just upgraded an old laptop from 80gb to 200gb and there was no problem...

crosstrainer 14:49 14 Mar 2008

click here

Of intrest.....Fairly rasy to do if you are careful, but remember that laptops are a lot more fussy than PCs

MPZMike 14:54 14 Mar 2008

I purchased one of those 250gb solid state drives, popped straight into my HP laptop and boots windows in about 10 seconds - well good!

ajm 15:02 14 Mar 2008

There is no mention of the limitation of capacity in the manual and also couldnt find it on the sony support site.

I have managed to take apart the sony laptop, just to get access to the hdd, and boy, was it a nightmare!!!! Had to remove the whole bottom part.

If the larger capacity doesnt work, I can then just pop it into a enclosure and use it as an external backup.

ajm 15:03 14 Mar 2008

Are you sure of the size of the solid sate drive. 250GB?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017