Upgrading RAM - help needed !

Paul33 14:37 18 Oct 2006

I have a miserable record of trying to upgrade RAM in my PC so I'm looking for some help here.

I don't know what type of RAM stick I need and I don't know what the capacity is of the PC or either of the individual RAM slots.

Is there an online tool/program or a piece of freeware that will tell me what I need to know so that I can safely purchase the right RAM ?

Any help appreciated !

anskyber 14:39 18 Oct 2006

Click on Scan my System click here

hijo 14:40 18 Oct 2006

hiya firstly to find out what type of ram u need just look here

click here

then you need to know your clock speed & whats the max RAM u can put in.. brb sorry pizza's burning :-)

Paul33 14:50 18 Oct 2006

Okay, I've ran the diagnostic tool at Crucial (very good too !) and it tells me I have 768mb on board (256mb + 512mb) and that I have a maximum capacity of 1024mb.

I once read something about slot 1 sometimes having its own limiting RAM capacity so am I completely safe to purchase 512mb and replace the 256mb stick ?

Crucial has provided a list of compatible RAM sticks but I'm not sure what the differences are, other than the price. One type is DDR PC2700 CL-2.5 DDR333 2.5V and the other is DDR PC3200 CL=3 DDR400 2.6V.

Presumably both will work but any advice on choice ?

anskyber 14:54 18 Oct 2006

At this stage I would speak to them by phone and explain what you have done. They are very reliable in my experience. If 2 are listed then usually both will work.

Paul33 14:55 18 Oct 2006

Thanks for your help .... very impressive forum responses !

i'll be back !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?