Upgrading RAM

GeoffR 16:00 28 May 2008

My computer is fitted with 2 x 256MB ddr DIMM's. I want to replace them with 2 X 512MB DIMM's but on fitting the 512MB DIMM's I get a page telling me that Windows was not properly switched off but to start Windows normally. After a short interval the opening process starts. Having gone through a few screens it then switches back to the "not properly switched off" page and just keeps going round this sequence without ever starting Windows. I have tried using just one of the 512MB DIMM's with one of the original 256's but get exactly the same result. I should appreciate any advice.

The DIMM's are from Crucial and all they say is that it is a software problem.

Geoff Richards

chub_tor 16:22 28 May 2008

It doesn't sound like a memory problem but you should go back to either one or both of the original 256Mb DIMMS, boot up and see if you still get the problem. If you don't get the start up problem then you know it is a memory conflict. If however you still get a start up problem then at least you know it is not related to the memory but something else that has happened.

GeoffR 17:25 28 May 2008

Thanks for quick response. I get no problem in start up with the 2 x 256 DIMM's, but do get the problem when either one or both of the 512's are fitted - I only have two DIMM slots so there are ever only 2 DIMM's in place.

chub_tor 17:30 28 May 2008

That is curious. Have you explained to Crucial that it is only their memory that is causing the problem and the results of your swapping memory?

chub_tor 17:37 28 May 2008

A couple of other questions?

Instead of sarting windows normally are you able to get into Safe Mode with the new memory?

Have you tried a System Restore in Safe Mode with the new memory?

Do you have a Windows disc that you can use for a System Repair.... sorry that's actually 3 questions.

GeoffR 14:56 03 Jun 2008

Sorry for slow response but I have been away for some days. I cannot start the computer at all - as I said it comes up with a "not properly switched off" page and then a few other pages from the start up routine before goin back to the "not properly switched off" page. Crucial suggest it is a software problem but I have been unable to get anything from Windows Help. The DIMM's are the ones suggested by Crucial.

I have an original Windows XP installation disc - is this any good for trying a repair and if so how does one go about it. My recolletcion is that immediately the disc is inserted it start the installation process.

Geoff Richards

chub_tor 20:55 03 Jun 2008

A guide to XP Repair click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?