Upgrading Question

morgueman 15:39 22 Mar 2008

Hello all, i have a GeForce 6200 card and was thinking of upgrading to GeForce 8600 GT 256MB. I have a asus motherboard (cant find what type excately)! Also had a look at XFX GeForce 8500 GT Fatal1ty 512 MB card, this any good?
If i get either card would i need a new motherboard? Also i have a AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor. I was thinking of upgrading that, but not sure to what, would still like to keep with AMD. If i done that would i also need to improve the power supply ( dont know what i've got at the moment!
Thanks for any help anyone can cime up with,
morgueman

jono366 15:58 22 Mar 2008

you need to know what you have just now to see what you need to get to upgrade. Open case and find M/B model number and find out if it is AGP or PCI-E graphics. As for what card to get..... you get what you pay for.

brundle 16:00 22 Mar 2008

Use this click here, you'll still need to check your PSU output.

morgueman 16:09 22 Mar 2008

I've got an AGP at the moment but would like to go to PCI, think thats the more common type nowadays! I'm on a laptop at the moment, not my main pc so cant run that link, but will do it later.

citadel 17:34 22 Mar 2008

pci and pci express are different, if you want a pci expess card you will need a new motherboard. this normally means new cpu and memory as well.
in fact you will be better off getting a new base unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017