upgrading queery

filthyphil 15:43 01 Feb 2007

i want to upgrade my mobo, i currently have a novatech mobo bundle that i already expanded on but only got a AMD sempron 2600+, if i get the mobo bundle from novatech that has a AMD 3500 i know its faster but will i have to format my hdd and will i have to get yet another xp disc or will the one i bought be ok?
if the hdd needs to be formatted would it be easier to have a new hdd and just piggyback the old one without formatting? (too much stuff to lose)???

xania 16:55 01 Feb 2007

So far as your curernt OS is concerned, you should be ok if its not on OEM version. However, it will not validate automatically and you will have to telephone to get this completed. This sometimes also works with OEM versions and I have heard it told that, if that fails first time, ringing at a differnt time might find a moer tolerant person.

You should always reinstall the OS after sucha major upgrade. Each mobo is different and requires differnt drivers from the OS and this is sorted out during the installation process. Failing to do this will result in the OS installing fresh drivers but leaving the old ones in place resulting in a more sluggish and bloated system and possibly some damaged drivers.

skidzy 17:03 01 Feb 2007

xania is spot on Phil.Your OS may well be tied to the motherboard,however if you ring Microsoft to validate the OS after installing the new mobo,do not say you upgraded.It burnt out...didnt it !! :-0

I recently rebuilt a system at home,and had to ring MS to activate the OS,they were very helpful and polite.....on that occasion !

filthyphil 18:20 01 Feb 2007

os
the os was bought separately from novatech so it oem for all there mobo bundles thats the only reason i aasked but thanks anyway i will try and investigate

filthyphil 17:40 03 Feb 2007

if i upgrade my mobo it will be just DDR does this mean i cannot use a DDR2/3 graphics card does it mean only a DDR card then??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?