upgrading PSU - Tips please

Danoh 12:57 08 Mar 2006

I’ve just had delivery of a Hiper Type-R 480Watt 14db BLACK ATX PSU
click here

As this is the first time I have attempted to replace a PSU, any tips would be much appreciated before I start the task!

The PC is a 3+ yr old Evesham Axis XP 1900+ RK with;
MoBo (ASUS A7V266-e)
CPU AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6Ghz).

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jdoki 13:12 08 Mar 2006

Check, double check and triple check each connector is connected correctly and to the correct point before switching on!

And normally I would run the machine the first time with the case off, just to check all the various fans etc are working correctly.

If possible find a little nook where unused connectors can be tucked away.

Finally. I try and hide as much witiring as possible behind the mobo. This usually requires some thought and planning, and taking out a screw or two from the corners so I can thread the wires through (then re-inserting the screw of course!). This keeps the path between the intake and exhaust fans as clear as possible reducing heat build up, and makes the internals easier to work on.

rmcqua 13:17 08 Mar 2006

If your m/b has 2 power connectors, don't forget the little one (a common error).
If it is a dual voltage input PSU (120/240 switchable), make sure it's set to 240V.
I agree with all of Jdoki's recommendations.

Danoh 13:28 08 Mar 2006

Wow!! You guys are fast! Thanks for the great tips!
MoBo only has a 20 pin power connector ~ I also intend to take a series of pics of the existing setup so I can refer to them should I need to later on.

rmcqua 15:05 08 Mar 2006

Good luck Danoh, you shouldn't have any problems. PSU replacement (compared to some other types of upgrade) is relatively trouble free.

yabadabado 15:09 08 Mar 2006

i have the same psu, in blue, check what connections you need, and dnt bother connecting those you dont ( the psu is modular). Also try not to daisy chain too many components on one output- you should have 4? standard power connectors for optical and standard hard disks. with my setup, ive got a max of 2 units per output from psu. with one also connected to heatsink and another to a powered usb pci card.

Mr Beeline 18:08 08 Mar 2006

Hello again Danoh

See click here for a neat little guide to installing a new PSU.

Good luck...

Next step that new graphics card.

Mr Beeline 21:50 08 Mar 2006

yabadabado

The 4M480 is not modular, I think you will find only the 580's are.

ed-0 22:02 08 Mar 2006

it only runs on 230 Volts AC so that should cut down one job to do.

4 screws in the case to hold it.

You have one small problem if your mobo is only 20 pin. This ATX is 24 + 4 pin. With a bit of luck the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin should just slot off.

yabadabado 22:10 08 Mar 2006

"The 4M480 is not modular, I think you will find only the 580's are."

My bad!

AllThumbs 23:12 08 Mar 2006

I've just installed the modular version of this (my first psu install) and I have to say it was much easier than I'd expected.

I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to remember what plugged into where, however providing you remove enough cables that you can pull the old one out, there's nothing to stop you leaving other cables in place and then when it comes to connecting everything back up you've got clear guides as to what goes where.

I'd also suggest you keep a clear note as to how many items need power so you don't miss anything.

The hardest thing I found of all things was that the back plate that holds the psu in the case was a non uniform shape and so is a less than perfect fit onto case and psu...but it holds it in which is what counts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?