Upgrading Processor

butchx5 16:49 14 Jun 2010

Hi
at present my son has my old PC and wants to upgrade his processor to something faster.

The one we took out is:
AMD Athlon AXDA25000KV4D - 1.8ghz on Socket A

He wants to upgrade to at least 2ghz but preferably faster but his money is tight.

Can anyone help us as to what he needs to buy and if there are any choices or is he stuck with just the:
AMD Athlon AXDA3000KV4D?

Thanks

Belatucadrus 16:57 14 Jun 2010

You need to find out what motherboard he has, then look up the spec on the appropriate website, it should list all processors suitable for the board.

Peter 17:14 14 Jun 2010

A change from 1.8GHz to 2.0GHz represents an 11.1% speed improvement and would, in my opinion, hardly be noticeable. Perhaps extra memory would make more difference for money expended?

Then again, a tidy up of the hard drive and defrag might improve matters without having to spend any money at all!

Peter.

citadel 18:39 14 Jun 2010

not worth updating cpu from the same generation, save for new base unit with more modern tech.

rsignals 19:02 14 Jun 2010

It might be useful if you posted the full specs of your son's PC. You could get better performance by upgrading elsewhere - for example RAM. It would be useful to know: Operating System (32 vs 64bit), RAM, motherboard, graphics card etc. What does he use it for mostly? Finally, roughly how much have you to spend?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?