Upgrading from a PII 333mhz

anguson 10:07 05 Jan 2004

Hello everyone, my daughter has Pentium II 333mhz and an obsession with 'The Sims'. Unfortunately the two don't go together very well as the old PII processor can't keep up. I want to upgrade my daughters PC but I have absoloutley no idea where to begin. I would like to keep as many of the old components as possible to reduce the cost. I have been offered an Asus Medion board with a 900mhz PIII for £80. Is this a good start or should I be looking for something else?
Please help,
thank you.
Anguson

Terrahawk 10:22 05 Jan 2004

if she is addicted to the sims no doubt she will be heading for sims 2 when it comes out so i think you may have to set your sights s a bit higher the min is 650mhz 1.5gighz if the graphics arnt up to the job on that game alone, then with the ensuing expansion packs i feel a 900mhz could be left wanting my adice would be shop round a bit a go for the highest spec possible within your budget.their maybe people on the forum who may be able to direct you to some reasonable deals.

good luck

Simsy 10:23 05 Jan 2004

but that doesn't strike me as a bargain. You could get a modern mobo and 1.4Gig(or thereabouts), cpu and have change from £100.00

You may also need to change the RAM, and possibly the power supply.

What's your budget limit?

I've done it in the past, but there are others here who are more expert on this sort of thing so wait for their responses.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

anguson 10:51 05 Jan 2004

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. I've got a feeling that upgrading is going to be a little more scary than I first thought. Surely there must be a tried and tested formula to make this all a little less intimidating? My budget is around £150 (what with Christmas and all).Either that or I will just have to ban the sims and save my sanity for a little while longer!

Terrahawk 11:13 05 Jan 2004

dont know what the site is like but you could get a mobo and 2gighz celeron processor retail
for lees than £100
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017