Upgrading PC/repair: What about your privacy?

AllZwell 15:59 20 Feb 2006

Hello,

I may be thinking of upgrading my pc soon (new MOBO, GFX card etc)from the shop I got it from (Evesham), and am currently on onsite warrenty. What about my personal details though?, and the fact that "if" it has to go into the shop, my hard drive with all the documents on is visbilbe for all?. not sure how this works:)!

TIA

jimv7 16:04 20 Feb 2006

Save all that you wish to keep, the upgrade of a new mobo will propably have to have xp reinstalled so the hard drive will be formatted.

Devil Fish 16:13 20 Feb 2006

save all the stuff you want onto external media another hard drive writable cd/dvd as said by jimv7 a new mobo will probably mean a reinstall

once saved origionasls can be deleted off the system

AllZwell 16:14 20 Feb 2006

Thanks Jim,

What about in general [also] - would I have to format my Hard drive even if I just wanted a floppy drive repair? LOL

...Oh and can you get software to back your hard drive up (250 gig with 100 used) so as to put everything back from DVD's? - like setting up Windows XP etc?

TIA

doc999 16:29 20 Feb 2006

Once i upgrade a HDD and have taken all data off i either FDisk & ReFormat the drive prior to using it again or destroy the HDD by opening it up, Mainly as i work with dedicated software that can at times read deleted data on HDD's so realise not all data is erased.

DieSse 16:50 20 Feb 2006

*What about in general [also] - would I have to format my Hard drive even if I just wanted a floppy drive repair? LOL*

Not for a floppy repair. The re-installation of Windows comes about as there are many different drivers required if you change the motherboard, and it0's very possile after such a change the system would not even boot up. It creates a much cleaner system to re-install from scratch.

*...Oh and can you get software to back your hard drive up (250 gig with 100 used) so as to put everything back from DVD's? - like setting up Windows XP etc?*

Yes - my favourite is Acronis TrueImage - some like Norton host too.

BUT - you cannot re-install everything just as it was using tis method if you've had a motherboard change - otherwise you would get back to the software without the correct drivers, which might not even boot. It's long-winded, but safer, if you save all your data, and install all software from scratch.

DieSse 16:51 20 Feb 2006

Norton Ghost - not host - sorry.

HXP 17:05 20 Feb 2006

Copy all your data to DVD

Take your hard drive out get machine upgraded with a new HDD £40 ?

Use your 'old' drive as a slave - good for backups and all your data safe if you connect second drive yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?