Upgrading PC, connections will mess OS?

Mysticnas 15:47 25 Jul 2005

Hi all, tis me again! ;o)

Just wondering about connections and stuff with the motherboard from devices like Hard-Drives.

I've got a new CPU, AGP card and PSU to install. Now the HSF for my CPU is quite heavy and requires a backplate for the retention frame, thus I have to remove my motherboard and make the alterations.

To remove the motherboard I have to disconnect all the hardware devices, the hard drives in particular. Now I have currently 4 of them all doing their own thing (2 SATA in raid 0).

When I re-assemble everything, would it make a difference which PATA/SATA sockets i plug the drives into??? would I have to plug the drives into exactly the same ports as before?

Basically i'm worried that when i've installed everything that my XPpro installation will decide not to boot or throw a wobbly!

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

jimv7 16:04 25 Jul 2005

If in doubt, disconnect all drives but 'c', do your updates then add the rest of the drives 1 at a time and let windows sort then out.

Mysticnas 18:18 25 Jul 2005

... i could take on the task of a sticker label method for the cabling.

I have a bad feeling about this...

things are going to get very confusing.

Rayuk 18:55 25 Jul 2005

Use the sticky label idea could save you a lot of grief later trying to work out which goes where.

Mysticnas 19:34 25 Jul 2005

it shouldn't make a difference which sockets i plug the drives into... but you never know with windows...

Rayuk 19:40 25 Jul 2005

Not so Im afraid if you plug your raid drives in the wrong way it wont work.[past experience]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 25 Jul 2005

Yes it does make a difference.

you need to make sure your drives are plugged in correcty or your BIOS may not find the op system on the drive it tries toboot from.

the sticky label solution sounds like the easest and srest idea.

Mysticnas 21:48 25 Jul 2005

..being the exception, but that the only 2 onboard SATA sockets i have.

I will just label them i think.

Thanks all. ;o)

Mysticnas 21:58 25 Jul 2005

I'm going to make an ASR disk(automatic system recovery) just incase.

Thanks again.

woodchip 22:03 25 Jul 2005

Make notes put stickers on things if you are not sure. so they all go back in the correct slots

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache