Upgrading PC

chaztait 22:37 16 Nov 2006

Hi ive been upgrading my DELL Dimension 4550, i had 512MB now i have a GB of ram also got new graphics card. I want to upgrade my processor, im guessing it will make it alot faster. Its a pentium 4 2.53Ghz and was wanting to upgrade, will this improve a great deal on preformance? and what processors can my motherboard handle

eg Pentium D dual core ect

thanxs

chaztait

ed-0 22:59 16 Nov 2006

unfortunately your motherboard will not take the newer dual core cpu's.

It will take P4's with a 533mhz bus.

The best you can put in a Intel 845PE, is a 3.06Ghz P4. Not worth the extra effort, unless you are running a celeron.

terryf 23:08 16 Nov 2006

One way to improve performance is to reducethe number of programs running in the back-ground. Go to start>run and type msconfig and you will see how many progs start up. Only you can make a decision whether they are all necessary but create a restore point BEFORE you change anything and also consider a full backup (Acronis) before you tweak

Technotiger 23:22 16 Nov 2006

Hi, you already have a pretty good cpu, you could make things faster with 2Gb ram rather then just 1Gb.

Cheers.

ed-0 23:27 16 Nov 2006

2Gb of ram, now that is a serious bit of kit.

Could you enlighten me what benefit that would have over a system that has already 1Gb. I have disabled my paging file as 1000Mb copes quiet well.

I run a system with 1Gb, is it worth going to 2Gb?

gudgulf 23:39 16 Nov 2006

I'm going to chip in with two reasons for 2GB RAM:

Video editing/Photo editing

and

Surprise surprise,Gaming (where high settings are used).

click here for all you need to know.

Technotiger 23:40 16 Nov 2006

Hi, I said 2Gb cos a move from 512Mb to 1Gb, in my opinion, is not going to make a lot of noticeable difference. I have very recently upgraded to 2Gb ram - it has made a big difference, especially when playing FSX Deluxe.

Cheers

ed-0 23:44 16 Nov 2006

Don't do gaming or video editing M8. I construct a few web sites and do remote assistance to certain organisations.

I also use Adobe photoshop and it copes very well. Would it benefit the extra 1Gb of ram?

ed-0 23:45 16 Nov 2006

Thanks for that. I will bear that in mind.

Technotiger 23:49 16 Nov 2006

Don't do gaming or video .... in that case, you are of course well ok with 1Gb.

Cheers

ed-0 23:53 16 Nov 2006

Cheers M8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?