Upgrading options...

sebtiger 20:30 11 Jan 2006

Well,

I am thinking of upgrading but not sure which way to go!

I have a pentium 4 (1.4 GHz) processor and 128Mb of Ram and a Geforce MX440 graphics card, I am thinking about a new processor (2.2GHz at least) a gig more ram and a much higher graphics card, the problem is I think my motherboard only takes 423pin processors (I think not completely sure! ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4T-M REV 1.xx) and Rambus memory!

I am aiming to build the system up to playing battlefield 2 online, and have about £400 to do it with.

What should I do?

spruce 22:23 11 Jan 2006

you can get a new computer for that

007al 22:29 11 Jan 2006

You would be better off getting something like thisclick here ,and adding a graphics card

Skills 22:37 11 Jan 2006

I think you'll probably have to hunt round the second hand, ebay places to find a socket 423 P4. If you need to check what socket your PC has download this click here which will help you find out.

Do you have an AGP slot? Upgrading the RAM will probably be the most significant upgrade you can make.

Run through everest and this will give you the information you need.

For the sort of money you have to spend thou rather than upgrading your current setup you can probably afford a new AMD CPU + motherboard bundle some RAM and a graphics card. You can then use the bits from your current system, optical drive, hard drive etc to make up your system. Be aware thou that if you go down that route you may well need to get a new copy of windows as well.

For instance you can get a socket 939 3500+ motherboard and 512MB of RAM from novatech for £250 click here

citadel 22:54 11 Jan 2006

512 of rambus matched pair 2x 256 costs over £200. I think you would be better off getting a new pc and using the old one for back up. For games like battlefied 2 it is best to have a fast processsor a top graphics card and 2g of memory.

007al 23:13 11 Jan 2006

By upgrading,you may need to buy a bigger power supply.Dont know what you have now,but you`re going to be using more power,and it may not be capable of the extra load.

sebtiger 17:25 12 Jan 2006

how will I know if a new motherboard will fit, I have never fitted one before, I can already fit most cards!

User-312386 17:31 12 Jan 2006

How old is your system? If it is under 5 years old then it will be ATX and all boards these days compy with the ATX standard

ed-0 17:32 12 Jan 2006

The P4T-M motherboard you have is a micro ATX motherboard, you would need to get another micro board.

Or for around £30 you could buy a new case with probably a larger power supply. You could then put in any motherboard.

As satated above finding a better 423pin cpu and rambus ram would be difficult and very expensive.

If you decide to get a new case you should get the dimensions so you can match a motherboard to it.

ed-0 17:44 12 Jan 2006

This case at £30. click here This should take any motherboard. If you are not banging to many things in the 350W power should be fine.

A ECS pin 939 motherboard with a PCI-E graphics slot. click here for £43

64 bit cpu for £113 click here

1 gig of ram for £56 click here

That would leave £150 for a graphics card click here

All the rest of your bits you can transfer over.

That should give you some extra grunt. lol

sebtiger 20:29 12 Jan 2006

Will I need to buy a new windows xp if i get this stuff? even though i am using the same hardrive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?